Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Pokémon story ideas?

UnovanZorua
UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Answer

I really want to write a story here on my own but I barely have any ideas. So does anyone have suggestions for a plot or characters or anything else? It doesn't need to be a full, finished idea, just something I can make into a good story.

Comments

• NoahLaprasForum
    NoahLaprasForum Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment

o i have tons of ideas!!!!!

• Candy0_o
    Candy0_o Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Likes 5 Agrees

Maybe it could have a trainer who wants to catch a pokemon but his family forbids it so the kid runs of to show his family it isn't that bad?

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Answer

@NoahLaprasForum

Can you please tell me the ideas? I've been thinking for a while but I can't think of anything.

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Likes 5 LOLs 5 Agrees

azumarill saga

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 723 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment First Anniversary 5 Likes

make it sci fi

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Anniversary First Answer
    edited August 8 #7

What if the story didn't mimic that of the main games or Mystery Dungeon series? Instead, you could base it on Rangers or Snap or whatever else you want. You could even take from multiple places. For example, one character could be a ranger while another could be a photographer. Of course, it's okay to still use standard Trainers, but the story doesn't need to follow the gym challenge or focus on an evil team or feature a powerful legendary. It still could, but focusing on other aspects could prove to be more refreshing and rewarding for the writer (you) and readers alike.

Edit: TLDR: Try not to be cliche.

• Resilient30
    Resilient30 Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes First Comment

@puplover1118 ’s advice is really good. There’s a plethora of stories in all sorts of Pokémon media (fan and official) that follow the starter/gym/evil-team plot, so something different would definitely be more attractive to read. Those things are common in that world, so I wouldn’t leave them out, it’d be cool to explore some other possibilities. Take the Pokémon movies for example, they usually follow a more original plot. You could explore different interactions between people and Pokémon and how that effects the world. Maybe a sport/event besides battling, or something like that.

Sorry for the similarity to pup’s comment, but I just wanted to expound on that point.

or you could write about a zigzagoon who’s a jolly lil gremlin

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Comment 5 LOLs First Anniversary

Everyone has their own creative process, but are you not putting the cart before the horse?

I tend to think the best stories come from having a story you desperately want to tell, rather than simply wanting to tell a story for its own sake.

Indeed, why do you even want to tell a story if you don't have one?

I find inspiration for writing and other ideas comes when you are not focused on it and trying to force it. It comes naturally, after a fashion.

That is not to say that you cannot study the craft. Look to stories that inspire you, not to copy, but to learn how better to apply their craft your own story.

Or try reading stories you would never usually be interested in reading. It will expose you to new concepts, ideas and ways of thinking you would otherwise avoid.

And a lot of creativity comes from having a wealth of experience to draw from. Go and experience new things and new places. Try a hobby you would never have thought to try. Go somewhere you would never otherwise go.

You will encounter new things, learn new skills and meet new people. Much of what you gain there can be used as inspiration and experience that will help you authentically tell your story when it does come to you.

So much bad media today comes from a corporate demand for more content at any cost or the desire to be a writer simply for status rather than love of the art.

If you don't have a story to tell, it might be best not to try to tell one.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Comment 5 LOLs First Anniversary

I cannot seem to post at the moment. Can I edit a shorter post?

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Comment 5 LOLs

@TheJeffers Even I have my own form of creative process.