Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Feedback on testing decks against AI

After testing some decks against AI, I noticed that there are not that many decks to test against. Would it be possible to increase the amount in future patches?

I also noticed the following:

• Some decks play rotated cards
  • The AI often runs of out cards in hand

Finally, I wish that it was possible to do this testing offline. Right now you have to have an internet connection and log in even to test against AI.

Comments

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers 500 Comments

Indeed the test feature it's big time rubbish. It needs a lot of improvements... As bad as a player is and even with horrible start it's almost impossible to lose against it... unless you do it on purpose.

I've seen it perform astonishing brainless moves, like it could simply retreat and attack with a charged Pokémon but it wont do it for endless turns until the active it's KO…

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers

Why do you all suck at posting in the right forum? .-.

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

yeah, the AI could definitely be improved, maybe train it on matches from Regionals or within the game, with player’s consent that is. You could also have it use a deck the player has built, this way people could test against bad matchups.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 LOLs 100 Likes

Even the best AI will not play like a real human opponent (for better or worse). They may do one day, but certainly not today, and certainly not in this case.

It may be embarrassing or disappointing to lose against a human opponent, but whether practicing or testing, it will always be better for you to play against real people. An AI can deceive you into thinking that a deck or your playstyle is good, only to fold completely when you go up against a flesh and blood player.

All that said, better quality, more intelligent AI would be better for all concerned. And sometimes you don't want to subject a living being with feelings to the experience of playing against you awkwardly piloting your new jank pile of cards that you call a deck.

@TechHog To be fair, this is the first board in the list for the TCG, and why does a paper card game even have a bugs forum anyway? Feedback, yes. But bugs?