Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

I want to get better at Pokemon battling in Violet…

Options

So I would really like to get better at Pokemon battling in the games. But I am not very good at all! I don’t even know what Pokemon are banned from competitive play. I don’t know how to use items or what the best moves are. What is the best way to get better?

Best Answers

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

Competitive in SV has become easier than ever before. You could reset a Pokémon's EVs using stat-lowering berries or reset Mochi,

and then upgrade the Pokémon's best stats using stat-boosting items like HP-ups or defeating a ton of Pokémon that give you specific EVs (example: Houndour gives Sp. Atk EVs, and Chansey gives HP EVs), preferably while holding one of those items that give you more EVs for a specific stat after a battle but lower your speed (I forgot what they were called because I'm rich and just buy stat-boosting items).

Use mints to further boost the Pokémon's stats, giving it a nature that lowers its worst/least necessary stat (example: a Meowscarada with boosted attack or speed and lowered Sp. Atk).

Use Bottle caps and Gold Bottle caps to maximise a Pokémon's IVs. Some strategies involve giving a Pokémon zero or low IVs in one stat or more.

Take Type Matchups, STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus, where a Pokémon using a move the same type as it is makes the move stronger), stats, Type Coverage, common opponents, and the rest of your team into account when deciding moves. You don't want to have zero good moves when a Pokémon or Terastallized Pokémon with a type you don't expect comes into the battle. And you probably don't want to use a move like Earthquake if you're doing a Double Battle and one of your Pokémon has a 4x weakness to it.

Use Pokémon with great type combos and amazing stats and abilities, and wide movepools.

Those are the basics. There's a lot more complicated stuff if you want to be a professional at competitive, but I am not a professional and can't provide the information required to be one.

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

I recommend Pokémon Showdown to build and test teams, especially for Reg G, I can give you the PokePaste for the team I’m using.

• Ravenclawed1234
    #4 Answer ✓
    Options

Another tip is to consider the team you’re building, if you have slow Pokémon, I recommend Trick Room with low Speed IVs, for Special Attackers, low Atk IVs (Confusion and Foul Play deal damage based on the target’s Atk stat. Use Mints to get the natures you want (Adamant or Jolly for physical attackers and Modest or Timid for Special attackers)

• cpm1
    cpm1 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Answer 5 Agrees Name Dropper
    #5 Answer ✓
    Options

watch content creators help you get started with competitive pokemon

Answers

• SpiderX36068185
    SpiderX36068185 Member Posts: 40
    Name Dropper 5 LOLs First Answer First Comment
    Options

@Ravenclawed1234 What is the Pokemon showdown? Like I said I am bad at things like this. lol

• Ravenclawed1234
    Options

Pokémon Showdown is a website

• HisuianSliggo
    HisuianSliggo Member Posts: 13
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

i wanted to get into competitive as well but then i realized. if my connection gets lost during a battle i'm banned forever. and i dont wanna risk it. that happend to me alot during tera raids and i have a great internet connection with fibre wires and all

• SpiderX36068185
    SpiderX36068185 Member Posts: 40
    Name Dropper 5 LOLs First Answer First Comment
    Options

@HisuianSliggo you can get banned from disconnecting during a battle?!

• HisuianSliggo
    HisuianSliggo Member Posts: 13
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

SpiderX36068185 i dont know for sure. i know that how it was in swsh. and i dont wanna risk it.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 896 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Answer 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

If I work for said company, I want to have mythical pokemon banned. for good. All that confusion's not good for competitive play pokemon.