Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Battle Pass Deck & Card Redemption Information

TPCi_CursedSoup
TPCi_CursedSoup Administrator Posts: 275 admin
25 Agrees Second Anniversary 250 Likes 25 LOLs

Greetings, Trainers.

We want to take the opportunity to provide information regarding the Battle Pass decks and for not receiving credits for extra cards gained from these. We decided we wanted to balance the game economy for all players and not give an additional advantage to players who already have extensive card collections. Instead, extra credits are earnable in both the basic and premium tracks equally for all players after Tier 0.

Please note that this also applies to decks awarded after completion of the tutorial.

Comments

• ShiningLancer
    ShiningLancer Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    Second Anniversary 100 Comments Combo Breaker Name Dropper

Does this change affect migration too?

Previously a support agent told a player that you can always migrate 4 copies of a card to PTCGL and if the total owned on PTCGL ends up being 5 or more the extras would be converted to credits.

I have been building my PTCGO and PTCGL collections under the assumption that I would be getting refunded some of the credits I have spent crafting duplicate cards on PTCGL while waiting for an appropriate time to migrate those cards from PTCGO.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Terrible. The economy is way too stingy already and you're now making it worse for "balance," and on top of that you're effectively punishing long-time players. You don't know what you're doing at this point, I'm sorry.

• Tgurneu
    Tgurneu Member Posts: 37
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments

The credits part is for me no big deal (assuming it's compensated through the pass as you mention). What I find slightly annoying is not receiving the additional copies under 4 just because I happen to have 1 inteleon already. We should probably still get the extra copies until the 4th...

• TPCi_CursedSoup
    TPCi_CursedSoup Administrator Posts: 275 admin
    25 Agrees Second Anniversary 250 Likes 25 LOLs

Does this change affect migration too?

Previously a support agent told a player that you can always migrate 4 copies of a card to PTCGL and if the total owned on PTCGL ends up being 5 or more the extras would be converted to credits.

I have been building my PTCGO and PTCGL collections under the assumption that I would be getting refunded some of the credits I have spent crafting duplicate cards on PTCGL while waiting for an appropriate time to migrate those cards from PTCGO.

To address your question @ShiningLancer - The short answer is no. The FAQ page makes sure to call out that additional copies will not be transferred beyond the limits that are in place and mentioned. If you feel that information needs more clarity or have thoughts on this in particular, we're happy to report this feedback directly to the team.

The credits part is for me no big deal (assuming it's compensated through the pass as you mention). What I find slightly annoying is not receiving the additional copies under 4 just because I happen to have 1 inteleon already. We should probably still get the extra copies until the 4th...

@Tgurneu - This is excellent feedback and has been reported to the proper channels.

Our goal now is to highlight the changes in the Battle Pass and that our team is still analyzing the rewards and amounts as more and more players are introduced to the game. The Tier 0 rewards included credits this time around, whereas the last one did not.

Thank you all for continuing to provide us with your feedback! Please continue to let us know your thoughts as adjustments are made during this Limited Beta phase.

• ShiningLancer

I do not agree that giving all players a small amount of credits instead of the full deck is the right way to fix the problem.

How I understand the problem: The battle pass decks give a bunch of cards to players with large collections which turn into credits that they can spend right away on the newest cards.

How I understand the current solution: Not giving cards is the only way to prevent older players from getting credits.

Why I do not like the current solution: It punishes new-ish players for crafting or pulling the wrong cards with no way to know they made a mistake.

My proposed solution: When redeeming a battle pass deck convert all excess copies (5th copy or anything in excess to creating the deck) of cards into a new 4th currency called wildcards that can be exchanged for cards from older sets.

How this would impact new players: New players will be able to obtain essential cards to help them play the game.

How this would impact old players: Old players will be able to obtain reverse-holo versions of the old cards they already own. 

How this would impact all players: They will need to play the game or use codes to obtain credits to exchange for the newest most powerful cards.

An "old" card should be a card from the oldest block in standard (currently D block) and any expanded card.

Wildcards buy:sell rates should be 1:1 to not punish players for crafting the wrong card 1 day ahead of a new expansion.

Here is two possible ways to set up a wildcard currency.

As different tiers of wildcards:

• Common wildcard - can be exchanged for a 40/100 credit card
    • Rare wildcard - can be exchanged for a 400/425/600 credit card
    • Ultra wildcard - can be exchanged for a 750/900/1025/1250 credit card
    • Super wildcard - can be exchanged for a 1600/2000 credit card

As a 4th currency with numbers:

• 1 wildcard = 40/100 credit card
    • 2 wildcards = 400/425 credit card
    • 3 wildcards = 600 credit card
    • 4 wildcards = 750/900 credit card
    • 5 wildcards = 1025/1250 credit card
    • 6 wildcards = 1600/2000 credit card

Note: Wildcards would also make a good filler reward on the battle pass. Those 20 credit tiers are insulting to players. Earning something worth at least an uncommon card would feel much better.

• ShiningLancer

There are two additional points I would like to bring up.

Changes to the battle pass decks: Make it clear on the battle pass that players will not be getting a full deck. Currently the battle pass decks look exactly the same as the decks in the shop.

It is jarring to only receive 16 cards when it looks like you are supposed to receive 100 cards. Change the deck icon and update the contents of the deck to show the player exactly what they will get.

How to avoid adding a 4th currency: The existing coin currency could be repurposed to also allow purchasing of old cards. Coin prices for cards would need some minor tweaking from their current credit costs.

Make sure that the coin selling prices from the battle pass decks and the coin purchase prices of the cards are exactly the same so that players are not ripped off.

Note: If either the wildcard or coin idea inspires a change to be made for how old cards can be obtained then do not prevent older pack codes from granting players credits for duplicate cards.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

@ShiningLancer Huge disagree with this idea. It just adds too much complexity and doesn't really improve the situation. The better solution is to just give more earnable credits. Each Battle Pass should be giving at least 10k credits to make sure everyone can get at least one meta deck of their choice per format. Either that, or just start rewarding crystals for ranked battles and add a log-in bonus.

• ImagineBreaker7
    ImagineBreaker7 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

I was one of the players who put up a support ticket but didn't get any worthwhile answers there, so good thing this post was made.

So a player who used all his/her resources for a charizard vstar deck last season will receive nothing worthwhile? This doesn't make sense imo. I would feel bad for building a deck now with credits, if next pass it will the free deck all along. The free premium battle pass deck is worthless then if I'm unlucky in picking the deck.

If I'm lucky in picking in a particular set (currently asr), I would be able to build 3 decks (now with normal battle pass (samurott), barely another with credits, and next premium battle pass(the thing that will replace charizard vstar next pass)). If I'm unlucky, it would only be 2 since the premium battle pass deck doesn't give me anything.

Sigh...

• magikarpex
    magikarpex Member Posts: 13
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees Photogenic First Anniversary

This game NEEDS to be more generous. It's almost impossible for a new player to build a collection with the pittance given now.

• DiCE3310
    DiCE3310 Member Posts: 0

just look at Yu-Gi-Oh Master duel , then you can find out how terrible the whole system in PTCG Live is.