Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

RNG Manipulation for Catching Pokémon for VGC

Motwell
Motwell Member Posts: 2

Rules question I would like an official staff member to answer:

Is RNG manipulation to catch Pokémon in the video games for team building allowed? The RNG manipulation tools are run on a separate device such as a computer and don't modify save data on your console. The tools tell you what actions to take to catch Pokémon with certain characteristics such as IVs or being shiny.

The VGC rules state you can't modify your team with a save file editor, but RNG manipulation tools do not edit your save file.

Answers

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 LOLs 100 Likes

That would be fine. How would they even tell?

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers

I'm pretty sure RNG manipulation is OK, since it doesn't involve modifying anything. Just doing things in a very specific way.

I don't work for TPC or GF so I don't know their opinions on this, but it would be weird if they thought that playing the game in a slightly different way to get something without modifying it is wrong.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 LOLs 100 Likes

Wasn't Nuzlocke defined as "hacking" at one point? It was probably Nintendo PR teams more than anyone who sets the rules for competitive play, but I recall some streamers (or some other influencers) reporting that Nintendo would not let them do a Nuzlocke playthrough on their preview copies for that reason.

But again, how would anyone know if you used RNG manipulation? You are literally utilising the rules of the unmodified game engine to catch the Pokémon you want. No one would ever know.