Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Dealing with Dark Charizard EX Decks?

MiracleEevee
MiracleEevee Member Posts: 4
First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

Hey, I'm a new Pokemon TCG player! I was starting to get into competitive TCG, and I'm starting to notice that everyone is using the Dark Charizard ex deck, particularly in Live. I have a couple of decks of my own, my primary deck being a slightly modified version of the Victini ex deck. Here is my deck:

Pokemon

• 1x Victini ex
  • 4x Fuecoco
  • 3x Crocalor
  • 2x Skeledirge
  • 3x Magmar
  • 3x Magmortar
  • 2x Cyclizar

Trainers

• 3x Switch
  • 1x Jacq
  • 3x Youngster
  • 3x Great Ball
  • 1x Hero's Cape
  • 2x Energy Sticker
  • 4x Nemona
  • 3x Nest Ball
  • 2x Boss's Orders
  • 2x Arven

Energy

• 18x Basic Fire Energy

The Charizard ex has been giving me lots of problems lately, as I have been getting opponents that get Charizard out on the second turn, not giving me room to get my Pokemon set up. I've decided that I could either use a strong grass type deck, take out the Charmanders before they evolve (which turns out to be difficult still, as they can get the items they need super quickly), or use Hero's cape to tank at least one hit from Charizard (Some people use Hero's Cape on their Charizard, which I'm never able to take out).

Is this deck a no-go for the Charizard meta? How do other decks deal with it? I don't see myself easily taking these kinds of decks out with my current deck.

Answers

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees

Your list doesn't seem particularly great coutering Charizard ex. But you were correct in using a strong and fast grass type…

I mean like Teal Mask Ogerpon ex with Raging Bolt ex it's a pretty winnable match.

Or Regidrago ex, because you can destroy thier bench before they set it up and you also have Teal Mask Ogerpon ex has an additional attacker to deal with Charizard ex if they are able to evolve.

• MiracleEevee

@DoubleCure Would definitely have this a try! Unfortunately I don't see any pre-built decks in the shop around it. 😭 I could definitely try some booster packs, but I also noticed that there is a Meowscarada deck that looks like it can attack pretty quickly after it evolves to stage 2. Do you think that could work?

• LovelyPond
    LovelyPond Member Posts: 20
    5 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary

One tip: Use Neutralization Zone. It's an Ace Spec card that make it if any Pokémon without a rule box (both yours and your opponents) can't take damage by Pokémon with a rule box (in your case, the Charizard ex). I played with that against a Charizard ex deck, and I won. Very good if you have powerful Pokémon without a rule box. Hope this helped!

• MiracleEevee

@LovelyPond That sounds huge! I'd be in a bit of trouble if they have a stadium card, but I don't think there is any in the Charizard decks..?

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

they tend to play Collapsed Stadium, and some might still play Artazon

• jonathanbelle
    jonathanbelle Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited September 12 #8

you could play gholdengo ex or even roaring moon ex, ive been playing these decks for a 2 or so months and ive easily beat many charizard decks with it

• Jadite
    Jadite Member Posts: 286 ✭✭
    25 LOLs 100 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

Jamming tower works amazingly to deal with hero's cape and enhanced hammer also works!