Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Does anyone know how the mulligan draws are calculated?

It seems to be very random. For instance, one time the player may get up to 3 or 5 cards, but several times I have noticed players getting much more.

For instance, one match the other player started with 16 cards in hand after the mulligan draw. with one starter in position. Another started 14 cards in hand with two on the bench. A couple of others 12 in hand with 2-3 benched Pokemon as well.

How are they receiving so many cards on the mulligan draw? I have been trying to figure this out but have not found any answers.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Player7259
    Player7259 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Answer
    edited September 10 #2 Answer ✓

PTCG Live only show one mulligan animation in every match, the actual number of mulligan is shown by the box after the mulligan.

If you see someone have mulligan animation two times, that means both players does not have active pokemon in first hands, and one player take more mulligans than the other player. The additional cards that the first player can take is the difference of mulligans.

• stealthboy2600
    stealthboy2600 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Answer Second Anniversary
    #3 Answer ✓

I'm guessing the confusion here is that the mulligan animation is only shown once, even if you mulligan 3, 4, or 10 times.

Answers

• LovelyPond
    LovelyPond Member Posts: 20
    5 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary

Mulligans are calculated by the amount of mulligans you get. For example, if you get 3 mulligans, your opponent has the option to draw up to three cards. Hope that helped answer your question!

• BlazeRayna
    BlazeRayna Member Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Agrees Combo Breaker 10 Comments

@LovelyPond, ok, but then why when I only take 1 mulligan, which is most often the case, do they get to draw 6, 8 or 10 cards, giving them a starter hand of 12 to 18 cards after placing Pokemon in active spot and on the bench?

Also too, after my opponent has 2 or more, I am offered 0-1? If I take no mulligans and my opponent takes 2 mulligans, I should have the option of 0-2, correct? Sometimes after they take 1 mulligan, I am offered 0-3, so I do not think the number of mulligans is the only calculator.

• Perfect_Jab
    Perfect_Jab Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    5 Likes Photogenic 5 LOLs 10 Comments

The whole drawing system for this game needs to be better. So sick of getting stuck in these rotations that it seems to go through when drawing cards to start with or however its done. Switching an using different decks but getting the same cards dealt to me. Or same set ups. Its definitely not random.

@BlazeRayna I have noticed the samething as you. I will put down 1 or 2 down to start with an have 5 in my hand. An i notice the other player has 8 or 9 cards in their hand after putting cards down. An i only take 1 mulligan.

Also get stuck with constantly getting mulligans every match i play, no matter what deck i use.

• BlazeRayna

@Perfect_Jab , the crazy thing is I have been mostly playing my Iron Thorns deck with only the 4 Pokemon. I usually get at least one on the draw and only sometimes get a mulligan. You would think that if anyone was pulling multiple mulligans it would be on the 4 Pokemon Iron Thorns deck.

Those times though, my opponent seems to draw double the amount. It's weird.

I have to wonder if there is a correlation between the Pokemon being played and the ratio of Pokemon in the deck that might cause the extreme draws.

Who knows...

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Because you didn't only take one mulligan. Sounds like something is wrong with your deck unless you're playing Thorns.

• BlazeRayna

@TechHog , yes I am playing iron thorns deck and yes I only took one mulligan.

Why do you have to be live this to everyone?

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

No, you took more than one of your opponent drew more than one. Get screenshots and a log next time. You're either mistaken or experiencing a bug that nobody else has.

• BlazeRayna

You seem to have a habit of calling people a liar. If I had taken more than one I wouldn't be asking the question.

I just played a match where my opponent took a mulligan, one, and I drew 3 cards so you can stop with your insinuations now.

I'm not mistaken and obviously I'm not the only one who has experienced it since @Perfect_jab has also.