Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Can’t have a deck be above 50% Win Rate

2»

Comments

• PCorc34
    PCorc34 Member Posts: 11
    First Comment Name Dropper

it’s clear something is broken when you go 5-21 over two days. Thats a 23% win percentage. I definitely had a few misplays but not enough to total 21 losses.

for reference, here is my deck list. Any help is appreciated because the game is becoming less and less fun by the minute

Pokémon: 11
    1 Manaphy CRZ-GG 6
    3 Ralts PAF 27 PH
    4 Kirlia SIT 68
    1 Munkidori TWM 95 PH
    2 Gardevoir ex PAF 233
    1 Klefki SVI 96 PH
    1 Drifloon PAF 155
    1 Ralts PAF 153
    1 Radiant Greninja ASR 46
    2 Scream Tail PAR 86 PH
    1 Fezandipiti TWM 96

Trainer: 21
    1 Ultra Ball SVI 196
    3 Buddy-Buddy Poffin TEF 144 PH
    2 Earthen Vessel PAR 163
    3 Arven PAF 235
    2 Super Rod PAL 276
    2 Iono PAF 237
    1 Ultra Ball BRS 186
    1 Professor Turo's Scenario PAR 171 PH
    1 Eri TEF 210
    1 Technical Machine: Evolution PAR 178
    1 Artazon OBF 229
    1 Hero's Cape TEF 152
    1 Lost Vacuum LOR 217
    1 Iono PR-SV 124
    2 Nest Ball SVI 181
    2 Counter Catcher PAR 264
    1 Professor Turo's Scenario PAR 240
    1 Hassel TWM 205
    2 Bravery Charm PAL 173
    1 Boss's Orders PAL 172
    1 Technical Machine: Evolution PAR 178 PH

Energy: 3
    1 Basic {P} Energy SVE 5 PH
    2 Basic {D} Energy SVE 7 PH
    8 Basic {P} Energy SVE 5

Total Cards: 60

• PCorc34

valid points. A follow up post from me must have shown uk after you typed this. Part of my frustration is going 5-21 over a two day stretch with the majority of losses coming down to bad luck and the extremely bad draws over a consistent run of matches. Losing is always a part of a game and taking away moments from it is important. But when there is no actual logical reason or play you could’ve done better, what are you supposed to do. It takes the joy out of playing the game if you get unlucky 75% of the time but the pendulum doesn’t swing the other direction to balance the scales.

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees

TheJeffers You are mostly correct, but this part when you said "even the best players don't go that much beyond a 50%+ win rate, especially in competitive circles", that's not really what happens, even I that for sure am not the best player in the world by any measure got an ingame (TCG Live) 60%+ total win rate, this is considering the beta phase where I lost many games to bugs and multiple times I just conceded after finnishing the quests. And I'm playing in Arceus league most of the time.

Also in limitless my win rate is 65%+. In some rare cases when I placed 1st in smaller tournaments I got 100% win rate (very few but still), and rarely finnish a tournament with 50% or less win rate (and when I do it's bad I mean far from the top).

A 50% win rate it's actually pretty bad in online competition and in higher competitive environment it's not good either if you want to be consistent in top 16 or top 8 *depends in the amout of players), with 50% win rate in a tournament you wont be able to be even close of the top cut.

• PCorc34

is there anything anyone is seeing in my deck list that could be a hindrance?

I know Gardevoir has a few variations out there besides it is just crazy to have such a poor run over an extended period of time.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

What's wrong is that Gardevoir is one of the most difficult to play/build in the format as far as prize-taking goes, and you're probably a newer player. You just need to learn the deck better.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@PCorc34

It takes the joy out of playing the game if you get unlucky 75% of the time but the pendulum doesn’t swing the other direction to balance the scales.

Are you claiming that there are players running around with 75% win rates? It's mathematically impossible for everyone to be at 75% losses. Or are you claiming this is unique to you?

@DoubleCure

Come to think of it I might have been thinking of stats for DOTA. I had a similar discussion about win rates there and some wires might have gotten crossed.

It is also true that I play more MTG, YGO and other card games than Pokémon, and what is true for statistics in those games, particularly relating to pro players in environments against other pros, is not necessarily true for the wider populace.

Regardless, I think my point about expecting to lose a fair amount of the time, even as a high tier player, still stands, even if my specific numbers were off.

Incidentally, I would be interested to see any statistics relating to performance and win rates of high ranking Pokémon TCG players and how that compares to average players. (Well, those who compete in tournaments, anyway. Not only is kitchen table data essentially impossible to find, you can win with literally anything in that environment.)

Pokémon TCG decks are insanely consistent compared to a lot of other TCGs, and it would be interesting to see how that affects win rates.

• PCorc34

@TechHog

Ive been playing TCG for just over a year but playing with Gardevoir for a little over a month. I’ll admit I have learning to do for sure but I have a strong understanding of the deck after 240 matches played with it. I understand it’s a slow build and has its risks, but maybe instead of just saying that offer advice on some gaps you may see in the deck list I posted.

@TheJeffers I wasn’t inferring others have a 75% win rate. I was claiming that recently I have lost over 75% of the time with the majority down to bad luck, bricked draws etc.

I’d also be curious on the data of top tier players. Granted we won’t know how they did in matches that aren’t tracked but it’d be interesting to see.