Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Who wants to get into the Pokemon Company?

Parmartha
Parmartha Member Posts: 9
First Comment Name Dropper

According to one discussion I have seen lot's of people want to get into the Pokemon Company so who wants to?

Comments

• Kination34
    Kination34 Member Posts: 19
    First Comment Name Dropper

I do but I don't have any experience in that stuff and my mind might be to slow. But I have always had a dream to work with a company like them.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I long aspired to be a game developer; I may even get there one day. But as much as I love Pokémon, I don't know if I'd like to work for a large corporation like TPC.

If that is the dream for some people, to work for Nintendo, TPC or even Gamefreak, then more power to you. I hope you can gain the skills and knowledge needed to work in your desired position and wish you every success.

But equally, I think it is important for people to be realistic about what working for a large corporation actually means, particularly at a lower level position where most are likely to enter. Some of the younger forum members especially might be a tad too idealistic about it.

You aren't going to be able to walk through the doors on day one and declare that the company is remaking your favourite game in the series. You can't declare Dexit over or insist that they add your original Pokémon design to the next game.

Unless you manage to enter the company at a high-level management position, to the point that you became the leadership, you would be unlikely to dictate anything. Indeed, you would more likely be told to implement the very practices you yourself hate.

Furthermore, it is an unfortunate reality that companies in possession of beloved IPs, like Pokémon, will wield fans' love of their property as a tool to recruit them as low level employees, excusing lower pay and long work hours with the premise that working on your favourite franchise is a privilege and reward enough.

I am not making any specific accusations against TPC, Gamefreak or anyone else. I am not saying that does happen in TPC. Merely that it is an observed practice in entertainment industries.

Do not let anyone use your love of a franchise to manipulate you into taking a bad job.

Finally, the development side of the Pokémon games, and a lot of the corporation-wide policies, are made in Japan by the Japanese companies and branches. If you hope to have any influence over the franchise, you would probably need to learn Japanese and move to work there.

Which is not impossible. Indeed, I learned Japanese and moved to live and work in Japan. You can do it. Just be aware of the reality of your situation.

I do not say any of this to discourage you. Again, if working for TPC is what you really want, then go for it. Just be aware of what that actually requires, the reality of the situation and what a pragmatic path forward would actually involve.

But I think some of you might be more fulfilled investing that drive and energy into making your own projects, companies and franchises than trying to get your foot in the door at TPC and "fix" Pokémon, if that is your actual goal.

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 100 LOLs

yeah I agree @TheJeffers I never plan to work for the Pokémon company or Nintendo I’m gonna start my own business as an inventor and entrepreneur (after I first make money by investing in stocks after the predicted recession will come to a close getting my funding from there why the price is low and will spike quickly so that I could get the money to do my inventing for I hope one day that I will be able to accomplish my dreams and creating a whole new industry and to push the future forward

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

I do have some professional experience in filmmaking, along with a Bachelor degree and lots of practice doing digital drawing.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

I want to get into Game Freak so I can be a leaker

• Pokemaster9293
    Pokemaster9293 Member Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 5 Answers 25 Agrees 25 Likes

bro me too

• Pokemaster9293
    Pokemaster9293 Member Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 5 Answers 25 Agrees 25 Likes

I want to get all the new game leaks and the new console leaks

• MegaEagle9
    MegaEagle9 Member Posts: 38
    Name Dropper 10 Comments Photogenic

I just would give them game ideas

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 100 LOLs

honestly I feel like you would have more power if you decide to start a third party game company make some friends in the game industry that are close to Pokemon and then get to be In charge of a Pokemon spinoff