Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How much of you make fan made Pokémon?

BlaziiBoi
BlaziiBoi Member Posts: 263
100 Comments 25 LOLs 25 Likes 5 Agrees

Fan made Pokémon are Pokémon people make themselves to feel special and share with others to make them happy. I'm a fan art King, who makes completely artificial Pokémon based after stuff I like or think is cool. Nobody read my post about my favorite fan made Pokémon I made myself, which is related to the Bounsweet evolution line, but with a few opposites including being male, being a mangosteen that is upside-down, and being a very vicious creature who takes good care of its royal army. What I really wonder is how long does it take for fan art Pokémon to show up on Google images, because I made a special regional Bounsweet evolution line with one of my best friends (and also, of you are a rule 34 fan who sees it when it comes up, don't you dare think about drawing anything inappropriate, or suffer the consequences).

Best Answers

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Agrees
    #2 Answer ✓

I used to aside from fan art but now I'm down right determined trying to get pokemon designs to be official artwork.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers
    #3 Answer ✓

I like designing fanmade Pokémon. And I have enough artistic "skills" (in quotation marks because my art is still awful) to actually draw them, maybe even make them look official if I focus and study official artwork and what makes it look official a little bit. But I'm too busy and have been having a hard time motivating myself to actually draw fanart or something big instead of awful sketches of human heads and the occasional hand or horribly wrong sketches of bodies.

I drew one that turned out really well a few months ago, a lamb + bush starter, with a slightly dark beige body, lots of green wool/leaves, and pink eyes. It looked good and I think it followed the look of official starters properly, but I cannot draw a neat line and did not use any reference images for or do research on what bushes and sheep look like.

• UnovanZorua
    #4 Answer ✓

The eyes were pink because I wanted them to look like berries and didn't think of any other colours at the time. The Fanmon does not have real berries yet because it's the first evolution, just like how Bulbasaur does not have a flower yet (also I forgot to say it's a lamb or sheep combined with a bush that has berries specifically). Also it had short ears that fell downwards, were far apart but still on top of the mon's head, and faced the sides instead of forward. There's probably something I could compare this to but I forgot it. Also, obviously it's a Grass type. I did not design evolutions for it yet and only have concepts.

• NoahLaprasForum
    NoahLaprasForum Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Agrees 100 Likes
    #5 Answer ✓

i have some fakemon designed!

• MagicarpFisher9
    MagicarpFisher9 Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 LOLs 25 Likes 25 Agrees
    #6 Answer ✓

I like designing some. I don't do it regularly, only when an idea strikes.

• UnovanZorua
    #7 Answer ✓

Oops. I see a mention of whether AI is okay or not. Time to make a post about the topic that's way too long to spread awareness about how awful it is.

It is evil. The consequences of not needing skill, thought, or imagination to create images are terrifying. First of all, some artists in actual jobs are already getting replaced by AI, sometimes trained on their own art (in other words, now their main source of money that lets them live a somewhat normal life is gone). It has even tricked many art competitions (even though the images always had very obvious errors a human wouldn't make if they had enough skill to colour and draw those perspectives), while artists who worked for days, maybe weeks, just to make a single art piece, and have trained and practiced to be an artist for most of their life failed. Second, it has been used to impersonate people, even in real time, as both AI video and AI voices being very realistic now, and scam people they know. Third, it has created false images and videos of people doing things they didn't, which in some countries and cultures, could result in actual death for the victims of that. Fourth, it steals millions of copyrighted (and non-copyrighted) images and drawings, without asking the artist(s), informing them, mentioning them, or giving them anything, meaning it's literally illegal. But they used a legal loophole for that, and are making millions off of real people's hard work and skills that they trained for decades to achieve, while those people they stole from sometimes can't make enough money to live comfortably or be sure they're always going to have a roof above their head.

Even if the AI used is just a chatting AI, that does different damage that I won't write another twenty thousand sentences about it, and the company that owns it probably makes image AIs, and maybe voice AIs and even video or deepfake AIs too, and don't care about how inhumane it all is, just a shiny new technology that could make them money.

People really underestimate the actual power artists have, and now you don't need to work hard, to practice, to be smart, or anything but someone who knows English to mimic the power of being able to create anything. Stupid or selfish people tend to not be artists because it takes many years of really hard work (and a working brain to memorise all the rules, theories, correct anatomy, and tricks that make it all look good) to create something even acceptable or decent, which meant that you rarely saw malicious things. But now, that's changed. (Note: I might be focusing on art more, but the same goes for other kinds of things. It takes lots of skill to mimic voices, to do photography, to write a story, etc.)

• BlaziiBoi
    #8 Answer ✓

That's only because my mom doesn't let me use AI for those reasons. I can't make my own video games or mobile games, AI images, or even…basically anything known for AI.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Agrees
    #9 Answer ✓

@BlaziiBoi I don't use AI. I used clip studio paint for my drawings.

• UnovanZorua
    #10 Answer ✓

Just to add on to the taking artists' jobs and source of money, despite the issues that always appear (lineart style seems weird or inconsistent between different objects, no understanding of how things like light work because it's not an actual person who would've studied this stuff for hours, but a computer that is just copying millions of people's stolen artwork), but companies just want whatever looks decent and costs nothing, not something that actually has thought put into it (knowing what you're making an art piece for is useful, and humans can change art to suit something more, like animation usually having simple art styles, or logos being memorable and neat, or comics conveying the emotions of the characters perfectly and hiding meaning behind every panel as they can't convey things through voice)

Also since some people say artist copy each other too, that is different from when an AI makes a 1:1 copy of your work without your knowledge simply fused with other people's art into an abomination, because no matter how hard an artist tries, they can't unintentionally copy an art style, and will always add their personal touch to it and change it to match the way they prefer drawing (sketches, whatever drawing a mannequin in the shape of a character before actually drawing is called, only colouring and no lineart, and more, all of which have different art styles that work best for them). There are a million ways to draw something, and you rarely meet two artists with the exact same style, even when they do the exact same thing (like animation, plain drawing, comics, painting), although they might be close because certain art styles work better for certain things (obviously, since animation needs hundreds and hundreds of drawings, it's best to have a simple art style that will not make you cry because it has too much in every frame. As a result, most people doing animation for something that isn't serious or a TV show tend to have similar and simple looking characters, and minimal colours).

AND, collages are different because they require actual thought, skill, time, and effort put into where they place each piece. AI is not the same.

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes 25 Agrees
    #11 Answer ✓

Already I already created a Pokémon, which I even named, and this Pokémon I created was a grass-type puppy and is a grass-type starter, and I drew more because I imagine that in gen 10 there might be a grass-type dog Pokémon as a starter.

• Tmaldonado10898
    Tmaldonado10898 Member Posts: 6
    First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    #12 Answer ✓

i designed a fakemon evolution chain. flamoth (Flame moth) flaconut (Flame conut)

Answers

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 500 Comments

Cool!! I really enjoy drawing too, but nothing pro... wish you guys the best of luck 😉

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

I started using AI to come up with ideas for the Pokemon in my region yesterday.

• BlaziiBoi

"AI is evil" my mom says!