Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Ranked ladder

Is anyone else finding it very hard to move up ranked ladder with -20 for every loss? I’m barely in great league (houndoom) and I’m facing top meta decks. Obviously, if you face a Lugia deck and they go first the chances of winning are very low. Just curious if others are in the same boat or if I have really bad luck.

Comments

• Edurandomnumber
    Edurandomnumber Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

The game asking you for above 50% winrate (since a win is +20 and a lose is -20) to climb is pretty standard for a rank ladder. Maybe a little too harsh for newer players, but if it was the opposite and it was really easy to climb then people would be complaining about the ladder being meaningless.

• RayleighXT
    RayleighXT Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

• RayleighXT
    RayleighXT Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Even for professional players, it would take them a lot of time to reach the Arceus league. Why not add a winning streak reward mechanisms ,such as the hearthstone. In this way, players who worked hard could also get a complete reward from the rank. In addition, the masters could quickly reach the Arceus league and enjoy a higher level of competition

• CaMeRoN188893
    CaMeRoN188893 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

I’d love to know what percentage of players have even made it to ultra league.

• Kapoetski3
    Kapoetski3 Member Posts: 24
    Name Dropper 10 Comments 5 Agrees
    edited December 2022 #6

First i would like to mention that the goal of the leagues should be to make sure you face players that have a similar skill level. If you are too low you will win alot and go higher. If you are too high you will lose alot of games and naturally fall back. If you win around 50% you are probably where you should be.

To make this work as intended you should be paired with people around the same ranking you are. I think that is where it is going wrong at the moment. (Not sure if the player pool is just too small or the system is bugged, i assume the first).

I myself am Arceus league and almost always get paired with people that are around 400-1000 ranking. Which indeed is really unfair for the lower ranked players.

Hopefully it will get better when there are more players.

• Edurandomnumber
    Edurandomnumber Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

@Kapoetski3 i don't think there's enough players that cares enough to reach master ball right now, and most people who cared about it probably reach it when the mew exploit was a thing and stopped playing once they reached master ball. So the system is probably just pairing you with the first player it finds.

Which makes sense right now, we're currently in a beta with not a lot of players, having a tight matchmaking system right now doesn't make sense when the main focus should be to have as much games as possible.

Now if the matchmaking continues to be this wide once the game releases, it will cause a lot of problems with the community, so i hope they change it later.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

@Kapoetski3 There's evidence to suggest that you can only be matched with people in or near your region.

• lvlrAdam
    lvlrAdam Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Anniversary 25 Agrees Name Dropper

My experience is that its hard to win like I could on ptcgo. I have been stuck at around 600-700 ladder points. I have access to all top tier decks, am in discord groups with top tier deck makers, have played hundreds and hundreds of games and yet I still cannot get win streaks much past 3 games now. It's almost like the matching system knows the deck you are using and pairs you against decks that can directly counter it. How many people have experienced making a new deck and then your first game is a match against your weakness? It's pretty sus if you ask me. There's lots that still needs to change with this game so all we can do is hope right now.

• Kapoetski3
    Kapoetski3 Member Posts: 24
    Name Dropper 10 Comments 5 Agrees
    edited December 2022 #10

@TechHog @Edurandomnumber Yea for me personally it does not matter that much, and i am happy it just goes for quick matchmaking over correct matchmaking.

Was meant more as a point for @CaMeRoN188893 that it now indeed can be hard to climb if you keep getting paired up against players that are alot higher rated. Especially since the only thing that matters is winrate.

I also think it will get better when the player pool gets bigger and we just have to accept for now.

• Lambalazar
    Lambalazar Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    25 Likes 5 LOLs 10 Comments 25 Agrees

@lvlrAdam Are you still on that? The game does not change the matchups based on what you play 😂😂😂