Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Archeops deserves a ban.

Energy acceleration is a fundamental necessity in this game currently. Most Pokemon with Abilities that accelerate energy are limited in some way, like only being able to attach cards already in your hand/discard pile and usually limited to basic energies. Not only can as many Archeops as are in play attach two energy for free every turn, they can attach two special energy, many of which function like a Tool on top of providing colorless energy (this also bypasses the need to discard a card from your hand to attach Aurora energy). Not only that, but he gets to SEARCH THE DECK for those energy. To say it another way, Archeops ability is the equivalent of a Muscle Band, Hard Charm, Sonia, Bede, and VS Seeker (because it can be used as long as he is in play) all in one. That is ridiculous.

Lugia Vstar wouldn't be the powerhouse it is without this gamebreaking ability.

Comments

• Saigatsu8
    Saigatsu8 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited December 2022 #2

I agree Archeops is terrible. Lugia V Star is a very powerful card.

But it is Archeops fault in the end.

• KumikoOumae
    KumikoOumae Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

I don't understand why some don't need to evolve

• chickoritaboy11
    chickoritaboy11 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Yes. Archeops and Lugia VStar together are totally OP!!! And I’d agree with that ban business if I didn’t use that tactic myself 😂lol. But by banning this ability combo they would have to ban the other cards that can just bring O.P. Pokémon back from the discard pile like the rapid strike style mustard card from battle styles expansion which can (at a very hard to occur scenario) can bring back any rapid strike Pokémon. Also if you like running this kind of deck, then a Professor Burnet or two will work to get those Archeops discarded.

• Sarutaru
    Sarutaru Member Posts: 27
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes

Arceus Vstar has an Vstar ability that lets him search for any 2 cards from the deck once per game. This effect is weaker than Archeops: Arceus still has to respect the 1 Supporter, 1 energy attachment per turn rule. And considering special energy provides added enhancements, Archeops ability is equivalent to attaching 1 basic energy and 1 tool card more often than not.

Why is a Vstar ability worse than a stage 2 Pokemon's ability that isn't even limited to "Once-per-turn"?

• Sarutaru

Archeops' ability is more powerful than Arceus’ Vstar ability: he would still be limited to the 1 energy and 1 supporter per turn, meaning he could not further bend the rules of the game by equipping 2 special energy even if drawn. Can someone tell me why a once per game move is less powerful than a standard ability?

• shinygeodude
    shinygeodude Member Posts: 18
    Name Dropper 10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited December 2022 #7

If it really bothers you, main a Weezing deck, the one with the ability that blocks all of your opponent's abilities. That totally shuts down Lugia VSTAR and Archeops.

• Sarutaru

Well I could make a competitively viable deck to defeat this deck if I had the money, time, and desire to learn all the cards, I'm complaining because I hate facing this card as a free-to-play player mainly on there to play against my son. The whole game centers around him (whether you are playing against him or with him); that is too powerful of a card.

• Dvilmain
    Dvilmain Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Yeah lol the game is essentially unplayable with everyone using only Lugia and Mew decks. Not fun to play anymore. TCGL nobody uses any other deck but those 2. Its a joke really

• DoomedAngel7049
    DoomedAngel7049 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I don't have issues vs Lugia decks heck I laugh every time I see one and I see one about every other game. I run a Bolthound VMax deck and i have no issue what so ever completely melting Lugia Vstar starting turn 2. Thats even if they get the chance to evolve there Lugia, my decks built to harass this deck. 90% of my games vs Lugia decks results in the Lugia deck conceding turn 3. The ones that don't concede are done by turn 4-5 at the most

• N4te2014
    N4te2014 Member Posts: 11
    First Comment Name Dropper

@DoomedAngel7049 decklist please