Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

cards not working properly or is it just how it supose to work?

i play a deck with the card:

mimikyu

with the ability safeguard :

prevent all damage done to this pokemon by atacks from your opponents pokemon ex and pokemon v

the situatation is my opponent has his/her/whatever XD mew ex with the ability genome hacking and used my atack : ghost eye and knocked me out

somehow this looks as legit as it looks like a bug?

is it correct that mew ex knocks out my mimikyu?

text wise it makes sense it does just not sure

Comments

• Baulder
    Baulder Member Posts: 32
    5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

I know very little about this, but one would expect that even though the opponent used Mimikyu's own Ghost Eye against it, it was still Mew ex that performed the attack, thus the Safeguard ability should be in work and prevent any damage.

I'm also curious about correct explanation.

Is it because the Ghost Eye does not deal 70 HP damage directly, but instead place 7 damage counters on the pokémon and an effect of the attack?

• VicariousReign
    VicariousReign Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

Mew is copying the attack of the player. Genome hacking is his attack, but it's more of an ability, to copy the effect of your mimikyu. In other words, the damage being dealt is by mimikyu, by mews ability.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

This is completely wrong on every level lol

The last part is the correct answer in this case. Placing damage counters is not considered to be dealing damage. It's instead considered an effect, which Mimikyu does not block. Working as intended, not a bug. Stuff like this is why Mimikyu is only used in meme decks.

• Baulder

That sound even more confusing. Description on Genome Hacking say "Choose 1 of your opponent's Active Pokémon's attacks and use it as this attack."

To my understanding, that should count as replacing the Genome Hacking text on the card with Ghost Eye in this case.

It was not like Mew ex made Mimikyu attack itself with the Ghost Eye. It was Mew ex that replaced it's Genome Hacking with Ghost Eye and placed 7 damage counters on Mimikyu.

TechHog just confirmed that Safeguard prevent only direct damage from ex and V Pokémon cards that is highlighted on the right side of the card, next to name of the attack, but does not prevent damage caused by the effect of attack, and Ghost Eye's description says that it deal no damage, but as an effect of the attack, you place 7 damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

• TechHog

Almost right. Some attacks do have damage in the text. It's simply that if it says "place X damage counters" it doesn't count as dealing damage.

• Baulder

That's what I meant, I just said it wrong as I was not aware of all the variations of damage caused by the effect of an attack.

So, to make it crystal clear, damage from attacks like Beedrill V Swarming Sting, and any other attack that say "does X damage" in description will get blocked, but Mimikyu V Jealous Eyes for example, and any other attack that say "put/place X damage counters" will not get blocked by Safeguard. Is that right?

• Shadowofpeace
    Shadowofpeace Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Mimikyu prevents my mew two from attacking or activating anything and have been using it to stop all attack from all v an gx yet mew can attack please questions things and take screenshots of your v and gx Pokemon when versing mimiku and copy battle Log. As mew gx is the only gx that have been able to damage my mimiku, I verse my friend and we both can't do damage from attack against each other's mimiku by v and gx Pokemon.

• TechHog