Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Anyone else think that the Pokémon ships are stupid?

Hey_PIKMIN
Hey_PIKMIN Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭
100 Likes 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 25 Answers

I’ve always hated Gary and ash, Serena and ash, Brock, and ash, Misty and ash, Jessie, and ash, gosh and ash, cloe and ash

And the list goes on

The only ones I agree with are

Misty and Tracey (chronicalls made sure to make it obvious) and Iris and Ash (knowing the character of ash it would make sense, someone as carefree and childish as him, even a champ too!) and even those aren’t something I want in the show

Comments

• Kynanthropy
    Kynanthropy Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

no

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Franchises focused on children do not tend to explore that aspect of their characters' lives too much, especially if the protagonists are also children. But when that franchise has an adult fanbase, or the fanbase grows up, there is a portion of it that is eager for that type of content.

Sometimes a little too eager.

For me, it is as potentially interesting to explore as any other hypothetical scenario for the characters. But it is far from the thing I am most interested in, and discussion rarely goes deeper than "I like these two characters, therefore couple".

• PrincessCashel1
    PrincessCashel1 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

I'm obsessed with cheesy Hallmark romance movies, but I've never been interested in shipping characters in any franchise. But Pokemon has never been about romance. If you want to pair up your two favorite characters, fine, but don't act like it's canon, or at least have another reason other than "I like these characters."

• Parmartha
    Parmartha Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Name Dropper

Ash is the main character bro

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

No! Not likely.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

Honestly I think that Journeyshipping is one of the few that doesn't feel forced while still having decent evidence and letting the characters have purpose and other things that don't have to do with romance.

I don't ship Ash with anyone though, he's just 10 and thinking he MUST be with this person or that person and stay with them forever when he's just 10 is a tad bit creepy. A little more than a tad bit creepy if the only reason the character exists is to be the love interest of the ten year old and is constantly acting romantic in a way a ten year old wouldn't and that's their entire personality and character development.

• Jirarudan
    Jirarudan Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Agrees 5 Likes

The general concept of shipping isn't bad. Some people do get weird over it (what is it about Ash/Serena that compels people to spam anything even remotely anime related about it?) but that doesn't make the general concept bad.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

Yeah, pokemon ships are pretty stupid.