Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How should the pokemon company keep the games healthy?

Options

Comments

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Comment 5 Likes First Answer
    Options

TheJeffers bdsp was made by ILCA being the first Pokemon mainline game not developed by the Pokemon company

• Squeaky16
    Squeaky16 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

Their first game actually. Which might have something to do with how it turned out.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

@clasingla I am well aware of that fact.

Gamefreak outsource a lot of their work to third party companies, particularly for 3D modelling and animation. Mobile app development also gets outsourced, as with Pokémon Home, which is part of the reason ILCA was chosen, I suspect.

ILCA were clearly the wrong developers for the job. Or at least, not capable or permitted to produce a quality product under the remit given by TPC.

They essentially ported the game, warts and all, to the Switch, only overhauling the graphics and adding 8 directional movement (which broke the world designed for 4 directions) and the new underground.

Oh, and of course the forced exp. share to break the balance of the game. Thank you so much for that.

And it doesn't make much difference if you have Gamefreak pump out two games for release within the same one year release window anyway. I don't care how you divide the teams, that is still time and resources that could be focused all on one product divided between two.

They need to better utilise other studios and give them more freedom to actually develop a decent product, perhaps innovate for themselves, rather than port Gamefreak's old work.

Nintendo has some fantastic RPG developers under their umbrella. Maybe TPC could let them do something interesting with the brand for a couple of years while Gamefreak work on the next main series game?

Sadly I fear if that happened, we would still get the yearly release alongside the spin-off.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

I know that they've literally done it for more than 25 years, but sometimes I get a little exhausted with the RPG aspect of the mainline games. I know that they probably won't change anything about that, but it would be nice to have a non-RPG game, even if it wasn't mainline.

Unite sort of was like that, but was limited to the 5-on-5 goal-scoring format, which I don't enjoy as much. I'd really love to see a game where you still have a team of six pokemon, but when you throw a poke ball, you essentially take control of the pokemon and can use your four moves with the R L ZR and ZL buttons.

Then if you engage an encounter with a pokemon, you basically get stuck in a little circular area where you are your chosen pokemon, and you have to duke it out until you think the pokemon is low enough, then you can throw a poke ball.

• Squeaky16
    Squeaky16 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

I don't get tired of the RPG mechanics, and don't think they need to ENTIRELY reinvent the main series, but I agree with everything else here.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

Yeah, It's not like I expect them to make any sudden changes, I'm just saying a non-mainline game that's not RPG could be fun.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I feel the latest generation had the biggest contention because of the graphics. Going forward it would be nice to have a new handheld system with higher capability of graphics. This isn't to say that I don't care about the pokemon company not taking enough time to develop the games because I do. I want the games to have a good story, plenty of new pokemon, an interesting rival, strategy, to be difficult, have a new aspect to them(examples:dual region, only new pokemon, raids, open world), and to take time. Can we really get all these things every three years? Three years is a long time but optimizing to the amount I want might take longer.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

@Eremas

I feel the latest generation had the biggest contention because of the graphics. Going forward it would be nice to have a new handheld system with higher capability of graphics.

Of course it is always nice to have more powerful hardware to play with, and we can expect the Switch 2 (I know what you're thinking, Nintendo. Please don't call it the Swiitch.) to be more powerful.

But again, there are much more graphically impressive games on the Switch, even open world games. Breath of the Wild is going on seven years old at this point. That team was given years to develop, refine and optimise their game for the hardware. If Gamefreak aren't capable of the same given more time, perhaps they could collaborate with other experts under the Nintendo umbrella to get the job done.

New hardware alone won't fix anything. If past experience is any indication, moving to new hardware has made Gamefreak's output worse, not better.

Can we really get all these things every three years?

Three years is a ballpark figure. A suggestion. The point is however much time Gamefreak is given between releases, it isn't enough.

Whatever the real development time they do get on a three year cycle, it's going to be a damned sight more than they get with yearly releases.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Answer 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Have game freak on all the Pokemon games all the time from now on and be more thorough and which company is more suitable for the job at hand. As for the situation at hand after the entire SV Kerfuffle, best to request for more time for higher quality graphics, have the human characters return to the Ken sugimori design, as well as throw out mmo-style open world gameplay in favor for a proper storytelling kind of pokemon game. Not to mention 5 or 6 years to make a much more wonderful pokemon game.

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Comment 5 Likes First Answer
    Options

Bring back fully customizable clothing I felt robbed even with all the dlc clothing because I could never have fully customizable options and I think the shirt and the pants were a big part of the customization in sword and shield which in scarlet and violet they took away from me