Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How to get better at TCG

I've been playing the TCG for almost a year but I can't get past beginner level. Like genuinely I've never come close to winning against my bf (he's like an intermediate/better than beginner player).

Anyone have any advice or help?

Also I wanted to see if there were any discord servers out there for Pokémon or just general chats.

Wonder if there are any fellow ADHDers as hyperfixated on Pokémon as I am (⁠ ⁠ꈍ⁠ᴗ⁠ꈍ⁠)

Comments

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Likes

Do you feel like it’s a difference in skill or could it just be that he has a better deck and/or a deck that has a good matchup against you?

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

Try testing several decks using proxies for cards you don't have, I recommend Charizard ex, Miraidon ex, and Giraitina VSTAR in this format, and Future Box post-rotation

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Answers

I think as long as you know how to use the deck you are playing (and as long as that deck is a good deck) then you should be able to beat anyone in your path. For example, a Lost Zone Giratina VSTAR deck is very powerful, but if you don't know how to work it, then it's a much weaker deck. Gardevoir ex and Mew VMAX are both pretty easy decks to build and play, so if you're just struggling to play the deck you're using then you should probably get your hands on one of those. If you play fine and just need a better deck then you should play Lost Zone Giratina, since it's probably the BDIF right now. (in my opinion)

• Spookytony13
    Spookytony13 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I recommend getting a friend who's really good and ask them to buff your decks and teach you strategies. This can really help your gameplay when someone who knows how to build a deck helps you. It helped me build my first deck on my own. Another thing you could do is try to have a specific special condition in mind. Poison decks are really strong. It might not always win but it can infuriate people.

• OlderAngel11

@Spookytony13 Most of the decks in the meta don't focus on special conditions at all. Instead of focusing on a condition you should pick a central strategy that your deck can revolve around. This can help you win games and makes your deck flow much more smoothly.

• SmartAlakazam
    SmartAlakazam Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 LOLs 25 Likes 25 Agrees

I’m not one of the best players out there but I definitely can say that my Deoxys V deck was beating up all my friends, including the guy who had 3 VStars in his deck.

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers

I also am extremely fixated on Pokémon and also have adhd

• JoeyHasADHD
    JoeyHasADHD Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

I think it may be a skill issue but that's probably me self deprecating. He genuinely has a sick deck with a stacked greninja, but I've got a deck around blaziken which is already a disadvantage. Struggling to make a good electric type deck because I don't have the cards for it.

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Likes

What you say in this message is very good advice and true—except Gardevoir is actually difficult to play due to all the sequencing that you have to consider.

• OlderAngel11

@Octowen True, Gardevoir does require lots of decision-making, but it's not as hard-to-play as something like a LZ Giratina deck. I actually find Gardevoir one of the simplest decks to play. Maybe that's just me tho.