Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What are your favorite Pokémon games?

2»

Comments

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Answers 5 LOLs 100 Comments

I also love games like Pokémon SwSh, Pokémon Conquest, and even the game Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explore of Sky

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Answers 5 LOLs 100 Comments

@UnovanZorua, no problem, it's your opinion, the important thing is to enjoy it comfortably, like me, I love Gen 4, and it's okay not to, it's just an opinion, what matters is that we like the same thing, what is pokemon

• Pok3m0nMaSt0r29
    Pok3m0nMaSt0r29 Member Posts: 42
    Name Dropper 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

OG RED and BLUE

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@Pok3m0nMaSt0r29 I am curious about a person's reasoning when they say that. Not because I object to it or anything. I just wonder why they think so.

Gens 1 and 2 hold a special place in my heart, and I revisit them from time to time. I even think there is a reasonable argument to be made that Red and Blue are the best versions of Kanto, though obviously FRLG are a lot less buggy.

But why are RB specifically your favourite? Did you not feel later installments have refined the formula? Made improvements to gameplay and functionality? Do you not think there are better stories in the series?

I would not accuse you of being the dreaded "genwunner" or blinded by nostalgia, but is your reasoning purely based in their status as the first (and perhaps for you like many, including me, your first) Pokémon game?

Let me know your thoughts.

• Pok3m0nMaSt0r29

@TheJeffers Just because they were the first Pokemon games I've ever played

• Scorbunny1scute
    Scorbunny1scute Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes Photogenic

Pokémon GO is my favourite.

• TheJeffers

@Pok3m0nMaSt0r29 That's fair enough.

But I wonder, is it really that simple? If you had played Sword and Shield first, would they be your favourite? Do you think you would not like Red and Blue as much if you played them afterwards? Or is there some other quality that draws you to them?

There are some game series where the first installment I played was my favourite. But there are others where I feel later games improved upon them significantly or I enjoyed the gameplay, narrative or characters more.

As I said, I love Red and Blue. I still go back and play them from time to time. I have fond memories of playing them during the height of Pokémania with my friends. But even the very next games, Gold and Silver, were massive improvements, and Black and White have long since proven to be my favourite installments. Gen 1 is far too primitive and flawed in my eyes to be my favourite, however much I adore it.

I suppose we each have our own perspective on the franchise and things that are of great concern for one person do not matter to another. For some it can be as simple as "the first one I played is my favourite".

• Pok3m0nMaSt0r29

@TheJeffers you can also add that I'm only in 8th grade

• TheJeffers

@Pok3m0nMaSt0r29 You are never too young for critical thinking and introspection.