Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why does this board place PLA outside the main games when Game Freak lists it as part of them?

Jirarudan
Jirarudan Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Agrees 5 Likes

Seems an odd conflict to have.

Answers

• Qdunfee
    Qdunfee Member Posts: 15
    Name Dropper 10 Comments Photogenic

that’s weird. it’s definitely a mainline game. hisui is even listed as it’s own region in some media. some people are knit picky

• Jirarudan

Yeah but given that this is also an official board, it's weird that two official sources would conflict.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

I think it's probably because Game Freak's classification of Legends: Arceus as a mainline game is weird, at least to me.

It's gameplay is so different that I think it should be relegated to being a spin off series.

• Jirarudan

By that rationale then Colosseum and XD would be mainline games though.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

But Colosseum and XD are solely double battles, have you STEALING the opposing trainer’s Pokémon, and have shadow Pokémon, which have some different mechanics than regular Pokémon. Also almost all mainline Pokémon games have the same progression: gyms (or something similar), elite four (or the tournament in galar), then the Champion (or something similar). Add on the legendaries and evil team, and that’s most mainline titles. Colosseum, XD, and Legends all differ in progression when compared to these games. The most notable example is the lack of gym equivalents in Colosseum and XD’s progression system. Yes, I know that there is a gym in those games, but it doesn’t serve the same function as the gyms in the main series.

• Jirarudan

I guess but if gyms are part of it then Alola wouldn't be main series either.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

Which is why I said “or something similar” in parentheses. The trials are functionally identical to the gyms of other regions.

• Jirarudan

I guess. But regardless, Game Freak considers PLA a main series game. Why doesn't The Pokemon Company?