Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What things did you wish you could do in a Pokemon story?

2»

Comments

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

@MajorBrendan (spoiler for the fans with only a Switch)

Did you really call XY's postgame... not compelling? Is an orphan finally feeling what it's like to have family but being so worried about how much money her parent has that she secretly gets a job with team Flare, causing her to steal people's Pokémon and other bad things without noticing, boring to you? People who can't understand smaller more personal stories like that are the reason Rose exists. We do not need bigger, world-ending stories. We need good stories.

Also, Lysandre was the leader, he made team Flare to save those who aid him from the Ultimate Weapon and grant them eternal life for the small cost of 5,000,000 Poké(money).

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

I find Lysandre being more of a usurpring Lieutenant rather than the true leader of Teram Flare. It's true we do need good stories as well as very compelling worldbuilding, but we also do need a good amount of difficult puzzles for rewarding efforts while avoiding degradation for a good story all the same.

• TURTLEEEEEE
    TURTLEEEEEE Member Posts: 49
    Photogenic Name Dropper 5 Likes First Anniversary

If any one here watches the anime, I think you should be able to battle like you can in the show. Y'know, block attacks with your attacks, dodge at will, and use the environment to battle. That opens up a lot more possibilities to battle like kicking up some dust to block an attack.

• 52slicesofpizza
    52slicesofpizza Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

Talk, IDK all the times I remember it felt like I was just supposed to stand there, especially in Sun/Moon

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

@MajorBrendan (spoilers for the XY games, again!)

Well then, who would've been the leader? Team Flare's goal makes it kinda hard to call anyone but Lysandre the leader.

And to be honest, a smaller scale conflict like Emma's story is a refreshing break when the last few stories at the time had been: Flood/Evaporate the world, Destroy the universe, World domination, World destruction. As I said before, lots of people underestimate the power of a personal story too. I mean, part of the reason Unova, Alola, and Paldea are the trio of "best stories in Pokémon" to most of the fan base is because it focuses on the characters and feels more personal.

Trust me, no one would like it if team Flare had a secret leader unless it was in the main story. Lysandre being a red herring for a post game only villian would not be a very loved twist. Changing the main story would make more sense (possibly with the real villian being hinted subtly to be the real leader, and being a reoccurring character that doesn't exist in the game). (Legends Arceus spoiler now?!) Volo in PLA worked because it was hinted at; you feel stupid for not realising he taught you to "backstab" Pokémon to catch them, and that his fascination with old myths and ancient things was suspicious.

In conclusion; do not underestimate personal, character-driven stories or you end up with Rose and the Darkest Day from SwSh.

As Unova, Alola, and Paldea proved, people like more personal character-driven stories than world-ending threats.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

wait and see when it comes to my potential pokemon projects.

• ChaosIGuess
    ChaosIGuess Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments

I wish it was possible to become the fairy gymleader in sword and shield

• Prince_Ludwig
    Prince_Ludwig Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    First Answer Second Anniversary Photogenic 5 Agrees

Join Team Rocket and become a menace to society!

• Jirarudan
    Jirarudan Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Agrees 5 Likes

At least OFFER to help the AI. We have Penny with us--what's the point of having a master hacker with us if we can't even extend the offer to free the AI from the professor's influence and the machine? They could have kept the same ending by having the situation be far more pressing, with the machine about to start up again so they have to leave immediately before it can, but to not even be able to TRY was gutting.

• DJ_dino2thebone
    DJ_dino2thebone Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments Photogenic

I think it would be cool if your choices actually affected the story rather than making no difference no matter what you say. I also think it would be cool if you could dress up pokemon with accessories or obtain holowear like in pokemon unite. This last one is super unrealistic but I think it would be cool if you could choose which version exclusives were available in your save.