Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Overpowered Legendaries and Balance Trust

In your last letter, you discussed your plans for legendary pokemon and how you want to balance them. You acknowledged that Zacian was overpowered for far too long, yet I believe you are simply committing the same mistake with Mewtwo.

Now, I believe this will create a lot of distrust with your community if each event ends up this way. If every legendary Pokemon that gets released is always incredibly strong, for gross amounts of time, it will eventually be something that players are not excited for.

As a returning player, nothing is worse than coming back to a game, only for the only players having a significant effect on the game being the ones playing the current legendary.

In order for your players to trust you, these legendary events need to be handled much better. They should be something players are excited about, but instead each new legendary makes the game a miserable experience.

Please do a better job of handling legendaries and fixing them much more promptly. Events with fan-favorite pokemon releases should be FUN. They should not be demoralizing to players.

Comments

• Pikafan777689
    Pikafan777689 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments

Why be upset? Legendary Pokemon are SUPPOSED to be powerful, why do you think they hold the status of Legendary in the first place?

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@Pikafan777689 Game Freak had no problem balancing Legendary Pokemon with normal Pokemon in other spinoff games (namely Pokken Tournament) without them getting too powerful or otherwise dominating the games.

In something like Pokemon Unite, where every playable character has its own strengths and weaknesses and players are meant to have flexibility in what works for them, having characters stronger than others (and worse, INTENTIONALLY so) takes away that element of choice for them and makes the games less fun.

In the mainline games, Legendaries were kept in check via having them be obtainable late in the games and level up slower, but Unite has no such method of balance once players obtain Legendaries.

• Scarfed_Ronin
    Scarfed_Ronin Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I absolutely agree with everything you've said.

The Mewtwo's have absolutely destroyed the game. They are absurdly powerful and at the moment games on the ranked ladder are pretty much decided by which Mewtwo is better. If your team doesn't have a Mewtwo and the opposition does and that player knows how to play the mon correctly it's pretty much an auto loss and this has been the case since X was released, Y made it even worse.

Both X and Y are so oppressive that it makes playing the game just not fun anymore.

Yes Legendaries are supposed to be powerful but that's in a SINGLE PLAYER game where there are multiple counters, over 1000 pokemon to choose from with an infinite variation of sets, and the game is turn based! Allowing time to strategise and plan those counters. In Unite that doesn't exist unless you're on a team with effective communication i.e. not solo queueing and in voice coms, when solo queue exists you cannot have pokemon be this over powered and dominant.

I have a group chat full of people that now won't play the game until these 2 are fixed.

• Tasear
    Tasear Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs First Anniversary 25 Agrees

It's not fun being forced to play something

• P0k3M4St3r121
    P0k3M4St3r121 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary

I don't understand why there's so many people saying mewtwo x and y are OP they can both get destroyed by a well timed 10 shard icicle spear from glaceon or liquidation from inteleon

• Sodiacers
    Sodiacers Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Name Dropper

Well, to be fair both Glaceon and Inteleon can be easily destroyed by Mewtwo without any attempt or well-timed skills.

• P0k3M4St3r121
    P0k3M4St3r121 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary

they can yes but in my experience that generally only happens if your using them wrong

• Sodiacers
    Sodiacers Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Name Dropper

I would assume that you only play solo or that you only ever play with inexperienced Mewtwo players. The global win rate from last week actually speaks for itself 😉.

https://uniteapi.dev/meta

• CycloneGU
    CycloneGU Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

All I will say is that I want Victini in the game. That's all. It's not as superpowered as other Mythicals and Legendaries and would be a welcome addition to the roster. They are not bad if brought in with a proper balance, and can still be the team leaders if only one is allowed on a team (i.e. no Mewtwo if Victini is present, etc.).