Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Help Me Decide My Game List :)

JoeyyRattata
JoeyyRattata Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Agrees 5 LOLs

After seeing a discussion by @UnovanZorua about your favorite Pokémon memory, I realized that I don't have one I can remember. I've played every Pokémon game to date except Gens 8 and 9. I would like to play through them again and make some new memories, catch some new Poké Pals and take the journey once again.

I chose the remakes for their quality of life improvements BUT I'm not against the idea of playing the best version from every Gen. I kinda like the idea of role playing and going back to regions after a time.

TLDR: Thoughts and Opinions.

Fire Red

Soul Silver

Emerald

Platinum

White

White 2

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

What does it say about this series and your connection to it if you have played through every installment and you cannot recall a single memorable moment? Not picking your first starter? Not beating the game and becoming champion? Not a tough gym battle or legendary capture where you barely pulled through? Not a story beat or character story that resonated with you? Nothing?

You have no favourite memory? Are you sure you like this series? I am not attacking you for it, I am just surprised that someone can have that take-away.

Anyway... I would argue that due to the changes made to the core game systems (special split, addition of steel and dark types, etc.) FRLG are not 1:1 replacements or strict upgrades to gen 1 necessarily. I would say they are more like a different take. A reinterpretation.

Of course, it is the same story and there are a lot of quality of life fixes, graphical improvements and content additions that make FRLG worth playing too. I am not saying that using FRLG for your Kanto playthrough is wrong or bad. Just that maybe you are not getting the true gen 1 experience from the remakes, accepting all of the faults that the original experience had.

This would also apply to HGSS and gen 2, but I would say the changes are less dramatic and there are so many great additions to the games that I am happier accepting them as a substitute. Though for a "complete and true" gen 1 and gen 2 experience, I would recommend playing Red or Blue alongside Crystal.

For the other installments, where you don't have a "definitive" third version like Emerald or Platinum, just pick the version with the exclusives you prefer. Maybe the first of the two paired versions is the more "canon" one, but it is the same story fundamentally. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I hope you enjoy your playthrough of the series and make some memories this time around. Good luck and have fun.

• JoeyyRattata
    JoeyyRattata Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Agrees 5 LOLs

Your response is completely appropriate. I don't recall a lot of my childhood memories. I do like the series. I think it was more or less because I had to grow up quickly. I just decided to play and not get into it (military family with younger siblings) I have played every version which was why I made the list the way I did but I can see your point about playing with all of the flaws. I'm not against playing every Generation.

How come you say Red/Blue alongside Crystal and not Yellow? I know Yellow follows Ash and not Red but is that not the definitive third version?

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I would say Yellow is more of an alternative version than a definitive one. If you prefer it then that is fine, go ahead. But to me Red or Blue represent the true gen 1 experience.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

I think the 3DS games are also pretty good. ORAS and USUM especially can be played for a while since they have a ton of features. XY is really good if you just want to play casually too, and SM has one of Pokémon's best stories (It's as good as BW imo, but has a lot of cutscenes).

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@JoeyyRattata Yellow has changes that make it a different experience than Red and Blue. Would you say that playing Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee is similar enough to FireRed and LeafGreen, or even the original Red and Blue, to be a substitute for them?

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

Yellow is an easier red/blue. I thought that through my first playthrough and I think that still. I don't think it's bad the games have made it easier for people playing competitive since there is a strong fan base that has jobs. In fact sometimes I wish there were more quality of life improvements like ways to make a zero speed IV.

• CodiOneWolf
    CodiOneWolf Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment

Platinum was actually pretty good, because you don't really see Giratina in Diamond nor Pearl. I thought it was the coolest. And the plot was slightly different.