Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Question on whiten for grading?

I was wondering as a first time person wanting to grade a card, would I still be able to get a PSA 10 if there is the tiniest bit of whitening on one of the edges of a card?

Answers

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 100 Likes 100 LOLs

“PSA considers multiple factors beyond obvious wear and tear when assigning a grade to a card, many of which don’t necessarily come from handling of the card. The manufacturing of a card plays an equally large role in the grading process as the condition of its corners and edges, poor centering, and any surface issues and manufacturing print defects can all dramatically affect the grade as well.”

“A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card.

Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.”

Both quotes from the PSA grading website.

• McKizz
    McKizz Member Posts: 8
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Yes to the above post, but it also depends who's grading your card. Typically, any whitening will not get a grade of 10. I've seen some 9s with whitening, though.