Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

2d or 3d?

out of curiousity, did you guys like the 2d titles (bw, dpp, rse, etc.) or the 3d titles (xy, oras, swsh, etc.)?

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

2D. Gamefreak had over a decade of experience working in 2D and sprites. The gen 5 sprites looked fantastic and were the best in the series. Then they threw that all away and we got the almost static 2D models Gamefreak outsourced instead.

Coupled with the increased demands of making an entire world in 3D while trying to push out games with even greater frequency, and the cracks really started to show.

The 3D era doesn't inherently have to be a step down; a 3D Pokémon game could easily be phenomenal given enough time and resources to develop it and the right talent working on it. But so far we don't seem to have gotten that. So much wasted potential.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

Each has its own strength. While 2D can be more detailed and beautiful, 3D is a lot easier for me to look at and makes it feel a bit more real. I really like how the art styles and colours look in gens 6-8 (3 looked nice too) (SV tried to be a little realistic, which looks good but I prefer the 3DS and gen 8 3D.)

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

I think 3d has a ways to go for me to like it. 2d is when I started, and they got really good and the switch to 3d was not great. Especially for Haunter. I really like the ghastly evolution line and I hope designers figure out how to make them look cool soon. Maybe next gen console.

• cpm1
    cpm1 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    25 Answers Second Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Agrees

3d

• Mechxel
    Mechxel Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper 5 Agrees

I like both