Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Does Pokemon Live Need A Way To Make Money?

i think so for the sole reason is they can then hire more or better developers to add to their team so they can actually create the pokemon live we all want. Which is a smooth, no bugs, with all the features of before and new ones etc.

We are not talking about massively going down the line of having to pay lots out to get cards and stuff but its more of an add on option. This way if people want to buy 20 packs of the new set they can. That money can then go to development of the game.

Or there could be custom avatars and clothes and cards and boxes etc.

if something like 99p for super premium pass but also keep the points premium pass - people will be happy to pay that and others will be happy with the points one.

Obviously keep what we have now with the points because that works quite well i have been able to create new decks easily because of the points and the free packs.

So much awesome stuff could actually be done with this game but they are obviously so limited on budget, man power and technical ability that it could be a long time before its what we all want.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• kot123456
    kot123456 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Before implementing monetisation, they should try fixing the game

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

But the game is this bad because there's no revenue stream to justify a proper budget to fix the game with. Catch 22.

• uncomonfossil
    uncomonfossil Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes

A really important, but tricky question.

Yes, monetization would provide incentive to put more resources towards the development of the game. This is probably necessary to have a high quality online client.

But, some monetization can lead to over monetization. But, I think this is a necessary risk towards having a quality game.

I agree that Pokémon cannot reasonably implement microtransactions until they game is working properly.

And Pokémon is a large and multifaceted company. The TCG is just one part of the brand & the online client is jut one part of this. I don't how Pokémon understands the place of the online TCG client.

• TechHog

Pokémon isn't a company; it's multiple, and Live is made by the one at the very bottom of the stack. They don't have the billions in revenue available to them. Taking a short-term major loss is only going to make actual money makers suffer.

• Francko1091
    Francko1091 Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic

They already said that tcg live isnt make to make profit, this could explain slow implementation on all expanded cards

• BlueCyanide
    BlueCyanide Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

Maybe I’m out of the loop. But, wouldn’t it make sense to use the revenue from buying physical card packs to support live? You can buy real packs and put the codes into the game to get in game card packs.

• TechHog

You're missing the point. It's not a question of where the money to make the app is coming from. The issue is that if the app isn't making money directly, there's no incentive to heavily invest in it. What you're suggesting is technically already happening and is the problem: the game is a money sink. If we look at it purely the way you are, then cancelling it makes the most financial sense because it's just taking money away from the TCG.

• stevieb216
    stevieb216 Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Answer

Kinda disagree with this. I doubt I would be playing cards IRL if I hadn't learned how to play on PTCGO. I've also spent money on codes and I enjoy receiving codes when I buy packs. Pokemon cards basically print money, and it's a shame how bad PTCGL is compared to MTG Arena or Yu-gi-oh Master Duel.

• TechHog

And how are they supposed to track that? Especially since you probably buy cards and codes directly, rather than packs?

Also, both of the aforementioned games have microtransactions. You just proved my point. How do you expect a fully free game to compete with them? And no, the "Pokémon has infinite money" argument doesn't work; aside from being a dumb argument on its own, TPCi only has access to a small fraction of that money. They're much, much smaller than Wizards or Konami (which is bigger than TPC proper). Master Duel is also an unfair comparison in general due to the massive difference in design goals where it's meant to be its own format with its own championship circuit, so even in the best case Live wouldn't match it, though that's a less important point.