Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why do they make male and female forms? It makes children think they caught a shiny.

When children catch a Blue stripe Basculin, They think "Oh! I found a shiny! Mom, Guess what?"

When Children find a Gengar, And they look at the shiny they say "ANOTHER SHINY! WHOO!"

When they look at the summary they say "Why me? WHY?"

Best Answer

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers
    #2 Answer ✓

Male and Female forms have a difference in appearance, like teeth or mustache length, while shinies sparkle when you find them and have different colours.

And alternate forms like Basculin usually have a difference in appearance and not just colour. Actually, they're usually in appearance.

And I think it'd be harder for a kid to think a normal Gengar or Garchomp is shiny and only catch it for that. It's usually "cool strong Pokémon! I have to catch it!" without caring about if it's shiny.

You look at a shiny Gengar/Garchomp and think it's normal, not the other way around. Someone wanting specifically a shiny would pay more attention and know the difference.

And by the way, shinies don't change specific parts, they just swap already existing colours.

Answers

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Is not the fact that you can be mistaken sometimes and the fact that you do not always get what you want a valuable lesson for children?

And are you saying you only want two varieties of every single Pokémon: a common non-shiny form and a shiny form you almost never see?

Is not more variety preferable to less?

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

Most male and female differences don't change the color of the pokemon, like with Pikachu and Eevee

• quaxlyisus
    quaxlyisus Member Posts: 28
    Name Dropper 10 Comments Photogenic

Still, Theres also the fact some shinys, like Leafeon, have a dark shade, and with the new shade function in Scarlet & Violet, It's easy to mistake one for a shiny.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

I don't think there's anything wrong with male/female versions. If it's meaningful I prefer it. And kids will learn the difference if you give them a chance.

• Arbiter1337
    Arbiter1337 Member Posts: 40
    Name Dropper 5 LOLs 10 Comments Photogenic

have you actually seen the sprites for pokemons with gender differences

• quaxlyisus
    quaxlyisus Member Posts: 28
    Name Dropper 10 Comments Photogenic

Still, Theres also the fact some shinys, like Leafeon, have a dark shade, and with the new shade function in Scarlet & Violet, It's easy to mistake one for a shiny considering the fact Gengar and Garchomp barely change it

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

We shouldn't always be making decisions to protect kids' feelings when those kinds of experiences are part of life. In a few years they'll be laughing about it- assuming they continue to be fans of the games.

And Pokemon games have always had a clear way to know when you've gotten a Shiny- the sparkle effect when starting a battle. Could they communicate its significance better? Yes, but it's worth acknowledging that there is a clear determinant.

As for your examples:

Gengar- Gengar's shiny is just bad.

Basculin- Every official Pokedex shows off the red- and blue-striped form. And having different, non-shiny forms makes a Pokemon unique.