Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Sableye vs Manaphy

How is it that Sableye can damage the benches Pokemon when Manaphy is on it and it's ability is to protect benched pokemon from attack damage? I'm really trying to not rage about Lost Box and how stupidly broken it is and how I can't wait for next rotation to come arpund so it becomes obsolete... But seriously wondering how I lost to Sableye nuking my bench when I had Manaphy

Best Answers

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees
    #2 Answer ✓

Sableye places damage counters, it does not directly deal damage to the bench. Now something like Radiant Greninja would be blocked by manaphy, because it does damage, but a pokemon like Hawlucha SVI that places damage counters would not be stopped. Very complicated.

• Margaret10987
    Margaret10987 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Answer
    #3 Answer ✓

This answer still does work for me and its something TCG needs to fix. Manaphy's ability description states "Prevents ALL damage done to your benched pokemon by ATTACKS from your opponents pokemon." Not direct damage, all damage.

Furthermore, the description for Sableye's move Lost Mine states "You can use this ATTACK..." - regardless of direct damage or placing damage counters, Lost Mine is still an attack and thus should be blocked.

Answers

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Placing damage counters isn't doing damage. You're the one making it more complicated by inventing the concept of "direct damage" and pretending that it's an official thing. Every TCG has stuff like this. There's nothing to fix.

• Zerofo3384
    Zerofo3384 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Anniversary 10 Comments

It's like with Driflim's curse rising

It's not an attack, it simply allows you to place 8 damage counters on your opponent's pokemon, since it doesn't count as an attack, Manaphy's water veil doesn't activate

• TechHog

Not correct. It is an attack. It just doesn't deal damage.

• Zerofo3384
    Zerofo3384 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Anniversary 10 Comments

that's what I was trying to say, apologizes for the confusion....however Manaphy's wave veil still would not activate since again, it's not doing damage

• Margaret10987
    Margaret10987 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Answer

I hear what you both are saying and it sounds like we are all aligned that Lost Mine is an attack. I also understand the concept of placing damage counters vs having a damage amount directly listed on an attack (this was all I meant by "direct damage").

However, if at the start of the turn my card had zero damage counters and at the end it now has damage counters, then regardless how it happened my card took damage from the attack.

If TCG wants it to function that way, they should have chosen their wording better on Manaphy's ability that says it prevents all damage. Or perhaps Lost Mine could have been an ability the prevents you from "attacking" and ends your turn when used.

• TechHog

You say that you understand the difference between placing damage counters and doing damage, then proceed to show that you don't understand it. You're in denial. And that Ability idea is HORRIBLE, since that would be a massive buff to the attack by removing the cost.

• CaustiCorrosive
    CaustiCorrosive Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary

TechHog obviously mains LostBox... Why you so heated man. Placing damage by an attack is an attack.... Don't get mad

• CaustiCorrosive
    CaustiCorrosive Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary

Thank you! Yes! This is why I was confused why Sableye can and does just nuke around Manaphy. I was even further confused why all these top tier players at Worlds would have Manaphy in their decks if Sableye just ignores their ability. Seemed like a waste of card slot if Manaphy literally serves no purpose since it can't defend the bench