Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Type vs. Theme Gyms

13»

Answers

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

And “typed” gyms can be used to teach other mechanics. Raihan is a dragon type gym leader, but he uses a sandstorm team in double battles, both of which are otherwise rarely seen, if ever.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

I think that the gym challenge altogether is sort of your training. Besides, the rivals and the champions never use one type per team. I think this actually makes those fights slightly harder, because you're used to leaning on one Pokémon for an entire battle, and then all of a sudden this super powerful trainer comes in an you have to use every last Pokémon out of your six. They also did mix the gyms up in Scarlet and Violet with terastalization. I think the fact that the gym leaders have only one specialty is sort of a nod to their power, maybe establishing the idea that they've trained and fought with that type for a while. I like the type gyms.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@OlderAngel11 I actually had the same thought- them forcing themselves to only use a single type is sort of like fighting with training weights on. They're strong when they limit themselves, and that means they'll be even stronger when they don't hold back.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

I want a Pokemon Stadium game where the gimmicks can be toggled for each gym. But we would have to be eight gimmicks deep to do a full gimmick for each gym challenge.