Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why is Game Freak so Unpredictable and Strange with Starter Inclusion?

D-ManBlue
D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

I've noticed that ever since Game Freak started only including specific starters in their games, some of the choices they've made have been...questionable.

Let me use S/V as an example. Adding the Hisui and Galar starters makes sense, as those are the starters of the previous Generation that players would want to use. But why include the Kalos starters? Aside from the obvious parallels with France to Spain, they just end up feeling like an extraneous addition.

It was even worse when the Crown Tundra came out. The Hoenn starters were just kinda...there. No part of them being available in Dynamax Adventures made sense, and nobody even acknowledged their presence in an in-universe perspective (or, and I could be wrong, an official website).

I'm not saying that I don't like these Pokemon or wish they weren't included- I just feel it's really random which starters will be featured in a game, and I wonder what exactly the thought process is behind them.

Best Answers

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary
    #2 Answer ✓

Wouldn't it be great if we had a national dex? Then we could have all of the starters and not have to worry about it.

Ho hum, oh well. In the meantime, do remember to pay your Pokémon Home subscriptions, kids. All your starters can stay there forever, just like Pokémon Bank.

But seriously, if we can't have them all, at least give us all the starters in every game. They tend to be the most popular Pokémon in the series. Someone even likes Chespin probably, and would be very happy to have it.

• YamiPoli
    YamiPoli Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic First Answer
    #3 Answer ✓

I'm pretty sure the Kalos starters were included because they just are getting their Pokemon GO community days with froakie getting it's today. Hoenn likely was a mixture between a similar reason and them being a better option than 3 games in a row of the sinnoh starters who were having their com days around that time.

Answers

• D-ManBlue

@TheJeffers I thought that exact thing! It would make sense to include them since they’re so popular. It would mean including 81 Pokemon at this point, but honestly is it really that much of a hurdle?

• D-ManBlue

@TheJeffers And let’s be honest- how much of people’s anger over Dexit is them not being able to bring their starters over? I mean, it was certainly my main complaint

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

Starters are usually the first pokemon people fall in love with in a game. But I don't think every starter should be in every game unless the game is capable of holding every pokemon.

Game Freak seems to craft starters for a new game and then apply some of the new moves to older starters(looking at leafage here, and similar moves). It does make starters feel same-y. Which is fine, having a similar experience in the early levels is a good thing mostly. I just hope we keep getting original games and never a game that only takes elements from games already made.

• D-ManBlue

Update-

According to the new trailer (spoilers if you haven't seen it)

All starters introduced so far will be included as catchable in the Indigo Disk DLC. Take this information as you will.