Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

how do i get good cards

iluminatesm
iluminatesm Member Posts: 2

i have been playing since mid 2019 and i have not yet found a way to get good cards for my homemade deck. i don't have the money to buy loads of booster packs

does anybody know a good way to get good cards without breaking the bank ?

Answers

• DragonGodstone
    DragonGodstone Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Very hard to make deck without paying or just grind for crystals, it's very hard to grind. I give up grinding and got packs but lucky I had most cards so I get a few crystals. I recommend just getting the code cards from people who are just opening packs. Like go to tournament and ask around for the codes, it saves money and help others get rid of useless cards for free

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 100 Likes 100 LOLs

If you’re talking about Pokémon TCG Live, get lots of Celebrations packs because you’ll get credits instead of a fifth copy of a card you pull, and Celebrations has few cards and they’re all rares.

If you’re looking for IRL physical cards, TCGPlayer can be a good online resource for individual cards, it’s what I use.

• nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Agrees 5 Answers

(Assuming you're talking about physical cards.)

Booster packs can be fun to open for the surprise, but they are not good for building decks. They are expensive, they are random, and often the individual cards needed for a deck are split up across many different sets. So, if you want to build decks cheaply, avoid "mystery" products like packs and tins.

For deckbuilding I strongly recommend buying cards individually. (Cards sold individually are typically referred to as "singles.") The advantage to buying singles is that you only pay for the exact cards you need, with most common cards only costing about 10-20 cents apiece and foils usually for $5 or less. The easiest way to buy singles is online (I use TCGPlayer but alternatives do exist).

If you live near a specialized card shop, it's also possible that they sell singles. The card shop I go to has these big boxes full of common cards that they sell singles from for about ten cents each. If you have a card shop near you, it may be worth looking for cards there.

One more bit of advice is to (if possible) test cards before you buy them. The Pokemon TCG online client is a good way to do so since it's cheap and gives practical experience versus real people. If you have a friend irl, you can also test cards by pretending to substitute one card you don't own in place of another. Testing cards before buying them may save you from spending money on disappointing cards.

• Mrgamerdude200
    Mrgamerdude200 Member Posts: 10
    Photogenic First Comment

I recommend buying cards off of amazon you can get good cards from there and they are super cheap and you get a lot like 50 cards for $3. Hope this helps :)

• A6man666
    A6man666 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Depends on your means but I would be buying the Origin Forme Palkia Vstar League Battle Desk and option it up with singles. Seems to be the best bang for buck pack around right now and you can add in a few Chien-Pao etc to juice it up to tournament level.