Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

I Devised Some Rotation Battle Rules for the TCG

Hey there! As my first post to this forum, I've decided to post some Rotation Battle rules I devised for the TCG

Each player has three Active Pokémon and three Benched Pokémon, as well as a Rotation Counter. This Rotation Counter is kept below the Active Pokémon that is considered Rotated to the Front. Only a Pokémon that's currently Rotated to the Front can attack or be attacked.

There are two Rotation Phases: the Initial Rotation Phase and the Defensive Rotation Phase.

The Initial Rotation Phase occurs after you draw a card at the start of your turn but before attaching cards to your Pokémon.

The Defensive Rotation Phase occurs once your opponent has declared an attack.

Every Rotation must end on a different Pokémon than it started on.

Other than that, standard rules apply.

Comments

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

If I still played the TCG I’d try out these rules with a friend.

• Espurration
    Espurration Member Posts: 21
    5 Likes 10 Comments

I just realized that in order for this to truly work, I'd also have to add one more rule: all cards that expand the Bench's capacity are forbidden.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

So if I’m understanding this correctly, the Pokémon you started your turn on isn’t able to attack, in accordance with your last rule?

• Espurration
    5 Likes 10 Comments

No. It means that when you rotate, you can't just slide your Rotation Marker away from the Pokémon that's Rotated to the Front only to slide it back to its starting position within the same action.

• Espurration
    5 Likes 10 Comments

It's like how you can't rotate the platform a full 360° in the games, it's the same concept.

• Espurration
    5 Likes 10 Comments

I just realized I'll have to add another rule: if your starting hand contains less than three Basic Pokémon, then that hand is a Rotation Mulligan.

When you draw a Rotation Mulligan, you call it as such, shuffle your hand into your deck, and draw six more cards.

Repeat until your starting hand contains at least three Basic Pokémon.

• Espurration
    5 Likes 10 Comments

I have some new terminology and rules for this ruleset

The Pokémon that's rotated to the front is called the Front Active Pokémon, and the other two are called Rear Active Pokémon

All moves that damage your opponent's Benched Pokémon can instead deal half damage to each of your opponent's Rear Active Pokémon; and if the move deals damage to all of your opponent's Benched Pokémon, it also deals half of that damage to each of your opponent's Rear Active Pokémon