Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Opinion on modern “evil” teams?

DylanVsTheWorld
DylanVsTheWorld Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
25 Likes Name Dropper First Answer 5 Agrees

In the past few games, the evil teams (Skull, Yell, and Star) have never been that evil. Usually they’re misunderstood and act as a bait and switch for a bigger bad guy. Like, Aether, Rose, or Sada/Turo.

Would you guys like to see a return to an actually evil team, in the next game? Or do you like the new formula?

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Teams as a concept seem to exist because the first game had one. At least Star and Skull had understandable motivations and the most objectionable thing about them in this regard is the adherence to the English naming convention.

Team Yell are an entirely superfluous element in a game with an already nonsensical plot. If they did not exist as a Team, what would change?

Perhaps it is time to abandon the strict formula of putting an antagonistic team in every Pokémon game? SV didn't even really have a villain.

That is not to say that old teams cannot return or a new game cannot feature one if it makes narrative sense. Just don't make them obligatory.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

I honestly like the idea of evil teams being a red herring- makes the stories more interesting. If they were to return to form, they MUST do something other than "Let's control the legendary Pokemon to accomplish our goal. What could possibly go wrong?"

Cipher from Colusseum and XD shows that Pokemon can make varied evil teams.

• D-ManBlue

@TheJeffers Honestly, Team Yell could have been written better if they didn't relegate Marnie to the sidelines and do absolutely nothing with her. Bad writing for a team is going to result if you don't properly write their motivation.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@D-ManBlue That is true for a lot of characters in Sword and Shield. The designs are very appealing and there is a lot of potential in the setting, but many characters are either vapid or incomprehensible.

Marnie is perhaps one of the most vapid. Her design suggests that she could have a very strong and interesting character, but in practice she is very bland. Not the best person upon which to base as entire faction in your game.

• D-ManBlue

@TheJeffers What's worse is that from what we know of Spikemuth (it's pretty run down and lacks a power spot) they could have done something really interesting.

• Elberta
    Elberta Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    25 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper 10 Comments

I feel like "modern" evil teams happens due to them running out of ideas for evil teams, plus, they can only make the world end so many times right? Team Star is probably like that because the main character is in school, which in real life, the villains are the bullies. Team Yell is probably due to the fact that when most people go anywhere, there are probably people that are determined to stop you due to whatever they believe in. Team Skull could probably be written better, but they're probably the ones that are suppose to be the team that stops the player from finding out that the Aether Paradise is the true evil team, making it a plot twist.

• delhoxy
    delhoxy Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Modern evil teams are the epitome of boring. They can't find a balance between excessive and slapstick evil for some reason.

• HombreBotella
    HombreBotella Member Posts: 10
    First Comment First Answer Photogenic 5 Agrees

Team yell is team skull done wrong.

Team skull is actually REALLY underrated.

Team star is good as well.

• Duskull101
    Duskull101 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    5 Agrees Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Answer

I dont really like team star. they are kind of bland and pridictable. Team yell is ok, but team skull i my favorite. I loved team skull in the anime.

• Cookerisreal
    Cookerisreal Member Posts: 11
    Photogenic First Comment Name Dropper First Answer

Boring and predicable, team skull was fine because the aether foundation was an actually an villain team and they were funny , team yell just built up to nothing and team star is something so bad, if i actually discuss it ill get banneed in a heartbeat