Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What would you like to see in a new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game?

BlueD
BlueD Member Posts: 6
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Other than the usual (new story, new locations, new music), I would like to see new game mechanics.

Maybe they could introduce new ground tiles other than water, lava and air, that only certain Pokémon can walk on. They could also adapt more elements from Spike Chunsoft's other Mystery Dungeon series. They did with Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon for the 3DS, so I could see them do something like that again.

Comments

• Dominolizard
    Dominolizard Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

A new mystery dungeon game at all would be amazing. I would like them to keep things from the past games, I likes the town building aspect of gates, and I liked the friend globe thing from super. If they put both of these in one game it would be super cool.

• SynergyTrainer
    SynergyTrainer Member Posts: 24
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper
    • Hidden Abilities
    • Egg Moves
    • An Item that would make a Pokémon holding it avoid damaging moves used by its allies
  • nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Agrees 5 Answers

To me, the main draw of the Mystery Dungeon series is its story. Even if they didn't change any game mechanics I'd be happy to play through another entry just to see the story.

That being said, as far as gameplay goes, spamming damaging attacks and Reviver Seeds can feel so powerful that there isn't much motivation to use any other tools. I think it'd be more fun if enemy Pokemon had stronger and more telegraphed attacks. The final battle of Super Mystery Dungeon was like that, with indicators whowing which tiles were going to be attacked and messages before very powerful moves. I wish more battles were like that, since that'd give me reason to reposition my character in battle and use defensive moves more often.

• Boured
    Boured Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic First Answer

I really don't mind whatever they do gameplay wise, Spike Chunsoft know what they're doing when it comes to Mystery Dungeon gameplay down to a science due to how long its existed. The only real thing i'd like is a story almost as good or on par with the Explorers games.

• Quilava75
    Quilava75 Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment

The biggest thing for me would be seeing the Pokemon from more recent generations. Volcanion and Gen 7-9 Pokemon have never been in a Mystery Dungeon game before, and I'd love to see them interact in this setting.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

You all realize that a new mystery dungeon game would likely have all 1010+ Pokemon, which would be the most in any Pokemon product outside of Home.

• Quilava75
    Quilava75 Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment

I honestly wouldn't care if not every Pokemon was in the game. I just would want more focus to be put on those who haven't been in one yet.

Gates to Infinity already didn't have every single Gen 1-5 Pokemon it.

• Funboy35
    Funboy35 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Photogenic 5 Likes 5 Agrees 5 LOLs
    • Modern roguelikes sometimes let you choose what you encounter and how you grow in a single session. I’d like to see more of this in the next entry. Imagine if you could choose among different stairs tiles for different effects, like finding more treasure and traps to the next floor. And something like the looplets and emeras from Super Mystery Dungeon would be great to see.
    • Gates to Infinity’s mysteriosity was fun chaos. I liked it. Was it too unpredictable to return in the next game?
    • A story that excludes high-stakes disaster would be a good change of pace. WiiWare games like this were released in Japan, weren’t there? At the very least, the tale could be a side story like a Special Episode from Explorers of Sky.
  • gloogloo
    gloogloo Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Comment

One of the things I'd like to see would be better AI for the boss enemies since they're just too easy when you can use any of your 20+ items. Perhaps they could be able to use their own items, or try to use the most effective moves instead of basically choosing randomly. Maybe they could have more spread/long range/whole room moves and your character starts at the opposite end of the room, but that may be too much,

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Answers 5 LOLs 100 Comments

I really expect a new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, with Paldea starters that can also be playable