Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Pokémon anime needs official subtitles

diegoah1
diegoah1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
25 Agrees Photogenic 5 Likes

Does anyone else think that the Pokémon anime should have subtitles of its original Japanese version for the rest of the world? Both for the old series and for the new series of Horizons.

It's a pity that the only option to see the original version and be able to understand it is either studying Japanese or watching subtitles made by fans... Besides, many of these sagas still don't have full subtitles

Comments

• Noaxzl
    Noaxzl Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment

I would love it if TPCi actually gave us a simulcast of the Japanese dub with English subtitles.

• Kaioshin213
    Kaioshin213 Member Posts: 11
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper

Yes. It is 2023, the anime is 26 years old, we got a load of OVAs and 23 movies. I don't understand it :/

I had small hopes the with the subtitled trailer for PM 2023 a subtitled series would finally follow (at best with original names and terms). It was the huge chance. A whole new anime living up to anime release standards.

People who watch anime dubs on TV, Netflix etc. and such watching subs on Crunchyroll etc. are for the most part 2 whole different audiances.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

Not just a simulcast of japanese dub with English subtitles. Throw in the Korean dub of the Show and pokemon movies while you're at it because Pokemon has also reached South Korea.

• BlueD
    BlueD Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

No. Not because I don't want them, but because that doesn't say anything about their quality or faithfulness to the original Japanese version. There's not much of a point if they make a subbed version that still changes lines, music, openings/endings, makes video edits, or cuts out scenes/bonuses. And if it they made it like that, less fans might be willing to look into the original version and notice or point out the differences, especially if they assume those subs already fill that role. I would also like to see those improvements done in dub as well, and since the dub is already a thing, they could start doing so there first.

• KurisuVanEdge
    KurisuVanEdge Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I agree.

But what I'm actually more upset about is that Netflix doesn't even offer the Japanese version of the anime episodes without subs.

I actually went through the trouble of learning Japanese, but getting a hold of the Japanese version of the Pokémon anime abroad AT ALL is basically impossible.

• KurisuVanEdge
    KurisuVanEdge Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I agree.

But what I'm actually more upset about is that Netflix doesn't even offer the Japanese version of the anime episodes without subs.

I actually went through the trouble of learning Japanese, but getting a hold of the Japanese version of the Pokémon anime abroad AT ALL is basically impossible.