Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Do you like the direction Pokemon Games going to?

safhier1996
safhier1996 Member Posts: 1

Pokemon is inevitably play a big part of my childhood. I Played every of the main titles and some of the spin-off. even my 3DS back then was solely a Pokemon Machine in which i barely touch any game beside it.

But my streaks of playing Pokemon Games stopped at the most recent title: Scarlet and Violet. I feel like instead of progressing, for the first time the series seems to be heading backward and taking so much from me rather than adding something to the experience.

Way more limited customization, odd design choices, lack of new Pokemon species and more on redesigning the old ones. Those are the few reasons that makes me skipped a Pokemon game for the first time in my life.

I'm pretty pessimistic about the series' future, to the point I'm ready to say goodbye to the series if by the next main title they still haven't shown something that actually matters to the longtime fans. I feels like the soul of the game is no longer there and only the IP remains as a money printing machine.

Is there anyone feeling the same? Or rather a complete opposite?

Comments

• Dedenne90524
    Dedenne90524 Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes

I pretty much feel the same way.

• scotty774
    scotty774 Member Posts: 21
    5 Likes 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

If we are to be frank, the Pokemon series has been a money printing machine for as long as its existed, with its outrageously massive merchandise sales towering over every other facet of its income.

With that being said, I do sympathize with your fears regarding the future direction of the series' games. I've been playing the games since I first grabbed a GBA around 2006, and have played every mainline installment ever since with the exception of Scarlet & Violet. While I have contemporaneously felt that every new generation is worse than the last, I've often walked back these feelings, with newfound appreciations of Gens 6 and 7 coming to me after the release of Gens 8 and 9. However, my personal frustrations with the series started with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

I feel that on an objective level, USUM were so similar to SM, that their production feels almost pointless. I would have preferred a Switch style DLC for SM instead of the release of a new $40 game at launch, such that its purchase made me feel only disillusioned when I came to see its repetition.

Gens 8 and 9 further worsened my distaste for the series, with Sword and Shield making me feel empty by the time I was done with it, and Scarlet and Violet's rather poor production making me skip its purchase entirely.

It may just be naivete or optimism on my part, but I do still feel that "the last good Pokemon game" has yet to have passed. I'm terrified for how the eventual BW remakes will be made, but I can easily skip them as well if they do not match my standards or hopes.