Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Is Tropical Beach a "Real World Exclusive Card Variant"?

ShiningLancer
ShiningLancer Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
Second Anniversary 100 Comments Combo Breaker Name Dropper

One of the new FAQ articles states

https://support.pokemon.com/hc/en-us/articles/6488739095700-How-do-I-exchange-Credits-to-obtain-cards-

Credits cannot be exchanged for card variants that are exclusive to real world Play! Pokémon activities, such as the Pokémon World Championships and Play! Pokémon Leagues. These card variants are only available by redeeming code cards that are distributed to participants.

Is Tropical Beach one of these exclusive cards that will remain uncraftable and unobtainable without migration or a decade old code card?

Answers

• Tgurneu
    Tgurneu Member Posts: 37
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments

Saying "variants", I sure hope they don't intend to restrict this handful of cards with no other alternatives gated behind this extremely rough restriction. The rest is harsh (for example, old holo energies), but pretty understandable. These in the other hand should at the very least get a digital only reprint people can craft (or buy with crystals), since both Beach and Champions Celebration (to a much lesser degree) get a considerable amount of play in expanded.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Sounds like it. It makes sense but is very unfortunate.

Really, they need to just make a new card with the same as effect and ban the original from being played in the same deck. Then it becomes accessible while maintaining value.

Was anything else interesting added to the FAQs?

• magikarpex
    magikarpex Member Posts: 13
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees Photogenic First Anniversary

Tropical Beach isn't a variant, it's the only print of the card. By the same logic the Gym Badge League Promos shouldn't be craftable either, but they are whilst most other league promos are not craftable.

• ShiningLancer
    ShiningLancer Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    Second Anniversary 100 Comments Combo Breaker Name Dropper

The latest update made the gym badge promos uncraftable.

It is not looking good for tropical beach availability.

• jon11w
    jon11w Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees First Anniversary 100 Comments 5 LOLs

I think that it sets an awful precedent. Being able to craft a Tropical Beach was one of the easiest examples of why a crafting system could be better than trading, yet they introduce an artificial block on the card to restrict its availability.

Nobody benefits from this in any way other than people who want to sell things on the black market.

@TPCi_CursedSoup do you have any comment on this?

• GadgetBadger
    GadgetBadger Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Anniversary 10 Comments

I think making items that are meant to be specifically exclusive is fine. If I see someone playing an IRL exclusive card it will have the clout intended. For me, the best part of a crafting system is not having to pay a couple hundred dollars each set to buy the codes necessary to trade for the new cards.

• jon11w
    jon11w Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees First Anniversary 100 Comments 5 LOLs

I think that it's fine if it's a cosmetic variant - it's a great idea to restrict these to offer a nice bonus to people who go to their local Leagues or whatever.

I don't think that it's fine when it's a card that was distributed at World Championships a decade ago and has had no other printing.

This is a playability issue not a bling/clout issue.

• magikarpex
    magikarpex Member Posts: 13
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees Photogenic First Anniversary

Let's be honest, they're probably trying to find a way to monetise it somehow. Expecting a box with Tropical Beach, some packs, Sleeves and Deckbox for 7500 Crystals or something

• GadgetBadger
    GadgetBadger Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Anniversary 10 Comments

There is not money in this game

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

@magikarpex You know that you can't buy crystals, right?