Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How did you get into Pokémon?

Options

I got into it because I thought my cards would make me look cool, lol

Answers

• Matchingbird
    Matchingbird Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

When I was in fifth grade I thought I would get rich off of Pokemon cards 💀

• Michael629303
    Michael629303 Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment 5 Agrees 5 LOLs
    Options

for my seventh birthday I got a 2DS with Pokemon Y as part of the downloaded games

• Scorbunny1scute
    Scorbunny1scute Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer 5 Agrees 5 LOLs
    Options

I originally got interested because everyone was collecting Pokémon cards. Originally, I got fake cards and just forgot about it. Then last year, I got a Corviknight V Battle Deck, which is when I started playing the game and got obsessed LOL 😆

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

@Scorbunny1scute Corviknight is AWESOME!

How I got started is I bought a (Meowstic) theme deck. And then I thought that if I bought a Flashfire Booster Pack with Pyroar on it I would get a Mega Pyroar (🤦‍♂️). This was a rude awakening to pull rates. 😂

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees
    Options

Friends gave me some pokemon cards

• Champrogel
    Champrogel Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    Options

I was at a wedding and given a Nintendo ds with Pokémon diamond. I was 6 at the time. Now days foward to me who is 18 I have played Pokémon diamond, omega ruby, sun, ultra moon, let’s go pickachu, and violet. I have amassed a collection of 2,000 cards. I have two first editions and my full arts are in pristine condition. I have about 12 Japanese cards that I got shipped from japan. That is my Pokémon origin story.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I was in primary school during the height of Pokémania; we needed to own everything Pokémon. The cards were currency on the playground.

I used to buy Base Set packs at my local sweet shop after school. I managed to pull a couple of Charizards. One I traded, one I fear was thrown out at some point with my entire collection by a relative.

I was frustrated on the playground. I was the only one who bothered to learn the rules. So on the rare occasion someone actually agreed to play with me, I would tell them they couldn't just put their Machamp down turn one with no energy and attack me with it. Then they would accuse ME of cheating.

I built a couple of decks and tried to teach my dad. No success there either.

I got into other card games in secondary school, but since moving to Japan I have dabbled in the card game from time to time. It's not hard to find opponents or places to play, even here in the sticks.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

My aunt gave me a plastic bag full of random XY pokemon cards when I was super young, and I thought they were cool. Only later did I get back into it in the Sun and Moon era, trading with my friends— and not using sleeves, screw the younger me— and I did build a couple of decks and play with my sister. But those games were pretty much whoever had the most GXes just won immediately. Then in the Sword and Shield era I moved to a different continent and got roped into the Pokemon group and realized that there was so much more to the game than just slapping high-HP pokemon to last out the opponent. My first deck was Ice Rider Calyrex VMAX w/ shady Dealing Inteleon, and I have been playing competitively to this day.