Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How Do I Get Into Competitive Pokemon?

Options

I tried in swsh but I just couldn't keep up, I also dislike using Pokemon that I personally don't like so should I give it another try next gen or would you reccomend me just giving up?

Best Answer

• ORBEETLE345
    ORBEETLE345 Member Posts: 31
    5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment Name Dropper
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

If you want to battle using the online battling on the official games, there are many ways of learning how to play competitive Pokémon. This is a good place to learn if you are struggling to find places to learn:

VGC guide

If you would like to play a simulation of Pokémon battle before jumping into the real thing, Pokémon Showdown is a fanmade website that allows you to make competitive ready Pokémon without the prep normally needed.

Hopefully this helps!

Answers

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

Are you talking about TCG, or VGC? I highly recommend trying the TCG out, but I don't know much about the VGC so if that's what you're talking about then IDK.

• PrinceGray911
    PrinceGray911 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

hi

• PrinceGray911
    PrinceGray911 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

same vgc idk about

• RBoltDaTallBoi
    RBoltDaTallBoi Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

If you wanna do VGC, let me give the simplest 4 words that most competetive players(like myself) tremble at the mere thought of uttering: Flutter Mane(probably banned in VGC I think, ihdk) and Incineroar. You have those two pokemon AT LEAST, then you might stand a slight chance in VGC. In competitive though, it's incineroar or lose(kinda).

• cpm1
    cpm1 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Answer 5 Agrees Name Dropper
    Options

watching content creators help you get started with vgc

• Amis2301
    Amis2301 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

Recommend starting with Showdown as you can construct a team without having to grind searching for it. Also watch some videos esp by WolfeyVGC.

If you're talking about TCG, just play TCG live standard/expanded, you're giving practice decks that you can use.

• AVeragename627
    AVeragename627 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

For tcg just start off with pokemon tcg live, and watching events on YouTube, like euic and stuff. The commentators tell you which decks are popular, and you are given multiple decks to start with. Charizard, chien pao are both meta right now. Then probably build a deck irl based off of what you like and go to small local events or big events, whichever you choose.