Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Do you think Meganium should get a significant buff?

Options
CarumoTopaz
CarumoTopaz Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper 5 Agrees

I know for sure Empoleon got it hidden ability changed to Competitive.

So does Meganium still stand out compared to the others starters?

If not, what stuffs about this pokémon that should be buffed? Movesets/abilities etc

Comments

• pikayou
    pikayou Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer Name Dropper
    Options

Meganium is by far the worst starter, which sucks because it's my favorite :[

A lot of people bring up making it Grass/Dragon, which would be cool, though that 4x Ice weakness would hurt. It has no healing moves besides Rest, but something like Strength Sap would be perfect on it (or even just Morning Sun or something). And Leaf Guard is such an awful ability - I always thought Regenerator or Triage would be a better replacement, or maybe a new ability? Its line learns Reflect super early, so maybe something that essentially gives the single screens the effect of Aurora Veil or allows them to last longer without holding the Light Clay would be cool

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

"Fun" fact: Chikorita is weak to the first two Johto gyms (the third one is Whitney, who no starter can do much against anyway), and strong against none of them. Its type is grass which means it has too many weaknesses, and it has the lowest stat total of the Johto starters, and it doesn't have good enough moves or abilities to make up for it. It doesn't "look cool" either, so it's less liked than Totodile or Cyndaquil.

Game Freak really dislikes (or disliked) the Chikorita line, I hope they get something good soon.

• Totoro-Totodile
    Totoro-Totodile Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Well, I think Meganium always had above average pokedex entries in terms of wholesomeness, but apart from those it hasn't got much preferential treatment and thus doesn't stand out a lot. The hidden ability wasn't released until gen 6 and still wasn't much to show, so I'll admit that I expected it to change in some way this gen, but now I think Game Freak are content with leaving it as it is.

I have to mention that I don't really care if Meganium is OU, UU or untiered on Smogon, I'm just in favor of giving Meganium something to make it stand out more. That said, I would like a signature move that plays into its role as the peaceful dinosaur cleric. Another idea is to give it a signature item since those were introduced in gen 2 (with an unique effect, buffing a stat or even some kind of form change).

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Pokemon is always changing so maybe far down the line it will get preferential moves.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

Maybe it should feature in a legends game so we can get a regional version of it, maybe with the added ice type or something?

• Totoro-Totodile
    Totoro-Totodile Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Hey guys, we can stop stressing about this now because Meganium got a new form in Palworld!

Game Freak may not care but perhaps Arceus does.