Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why is Lunatone Solrock so underrated?

deluluavacado
deluluavacado Member Posts: 37
5 Agrees First Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Answers

Why does everybody think Lunatone Solrock is a garbage, baby deck? I’ve only been playing a Lunatone deck and I win 85% of my games with it. It’s a really consistant one-prizer deck that nobody ever mentions.

It never shows up in even top 256, the only decks you see are lost box, lugia, gardevior, mew, charizard, mariadon, and chein-pao. I really wish the meta was less predictable and more diverse, it would be more fun if the same few decks didn’t control the whole meta because decks like Lunatone, Zoroa box, hisuian goodra, etc. are good but aren’t ever seen because “the other decks are better”.

I hope someone agrees with me that the meta should be unpredictable because people wouldn’t build decks to counter the same five decks. And it would be more fun because there could be 100s of different decks in the same tournament and people wouldn’t know they lose as soon as they see their matchup.

Best Answers

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees
    #2 Answer ✓

I also would like to see more rogue decks do well in tournaments, but there are a few good reasons why Lunatone Solrock isn't a great deck. I myself played it, so I share some appreciation for it, and it's a very powerful deck. However, most of the top decks will just run over you if you play this deck to a serious tournament. Three very high-ranking decks are especially bad matchups for you. These being: Mew VMAX, Charizard ex, and Lost Box. Against mew, the high HP levels can be very hard to deal with, especially when they can just Psychic Leap you and remove all the damage you did. Against Charizard, there is more of the high HP problem. Charizard has 330 hp, which can sometimes take as much as three turns to deal with, and then only gives up two prizes, effectively losing you the prize trade. Most Charizard decks should play a Mew ex now, so if you bench Radiant Greninja you then have to bench manaphy, so you get less solrocks and less psychic energy, leading to overall lower damage. The last bad matchup for this deck: Lost Box. This is an extremely competitive deck that you will play against a lot, so having a good plan against it is very important. However, due to the low HP of your pokemon, Cramorant can start smacking early on, Radiant Greninja can take two knockouts at once, and even if you bench manaphy then Sableye will dismantle it and then Radiant Greninja will take two prizes. And all this time Sableye is slowly setting up damage to take a few two-or-three prize turns, and your gameplan just falls apart. I wish that Lunatone Solrock was competitive, but alas, it is not.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes
    #3 Answer ✓

It's not underrated. It's just not very good, which is why it doesn't top. Your win percentage on Live is irrelevant due to the ELO system. If you seriously think it's competitive with the top decks, go to a regional and try to top with it.

Also, you said the meta isn't diverse and yet you listed 7 different decks? I think your expectations are out of whack. How many different archetypes would you expect in a diverse meta?

Answers

• deluluavacado

What ment was that it wish other decks had a chance at winning and rogue decks could top 64 or something because you could bring a random deck and still have a chance. But I do get both of your points and thank you for both of your answers and I guess I was being quite ignorant.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

We had that Rapid Strike deck win not too long ago, and Miraidon ex was off-meta until recently.

• deluluavacado

that is true

• yeldarbdenots
    yeldarbdenots Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Anyone who uses this deck is just boring, where’s the fun in that? It’s a fursnteed win almost everytime! I will quit every match the minute I see a solrock or lunatone, can’t have any fun when you play a deck that’s mindless like that where’s your true Pokémon trainer at? Or your just too st***d to make your own, they should ban that literally everyone uses that deck that is not fun like what so ever so blah and bland you are not a Pokémon player if you use that in my mind. Horrible and a disgrace if you ask me