Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Charizard ex to OP

Options

Comments

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

Good point from @OlderAngel11. But what I was saying isn’t even that you need to come back against charizard, it’s that the maxim of “It makes the game less enjoyable when your success hurts you later on” actually means that you don’t want decks to come back/comeback cards to exist.

• SkeledirgeFlame
    SkeledirgeFlame Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Too, not to and you all not yall. What's moderna? Charizard ex is so disgustingly broken! I have to run Grass or I'm losing hyper fast! I hate that it self charges and can 1 shot everything! Especially when you've taken prizes! That card needs to be banned! It's ridiculously popular! I want to run Shaymin VStar against it! I want to blow up with Foretress ex, so that they take 2 prizes and then Shaymin VStar can have its attack increased due to my opponents taking prizes like Charizard ex! Also, the energy excel of 5 Grass energies is amazing!

My best decks against Charizard ex, are my decks that run Espathra ex and Xatu! I've got an Espathra ex/Cofagrigus ex/Xatu deck. I've got a Mewtwo ex/Expathra ex/Xatu deck. I have a Wigglytuff ex/Espathra ex/Xatu deck. I have a Slaking/Espathra ex/Xatu deck. This is after the release of Temporal Forces. So, I have Therapeutic Energy that I run for my Slaking. My best deck out of all of those, is Mewtwo ex/Espathra ex/Xatu deck. I rarely use Mewtwo ex's first attack, as I don't want to waste a turn dealing 0 damage to charge 2 energy from my discard pile onto my benched Pokémon. I run 4 Energy Retrieval and it works wonders. I only run 2-2 Xatu in my decks, but all I need is 1. 2 is fantastic, but not absolutely necessary. I love how Espathra's ability forces my opponents to have to play an extra energy. I've had many players I face online overlook my ability. So, they charge 2 Fire energies on their Charizard ex and 1 on the bench. Then, I hit the smile reaction when they have no choice, but to pass, due to lack of energies. You only need 3 energies on Espathra ex and then you can 1 shot Charizard ex and that's the best feeling ever!

If you can get 11 Energies on the field, you can 1 shot Charizard ex with Mewtwo ex. It's not hard to do with Xatu in play. Especially if you have 2. However, it will take you a few turns to do. If you build this deck, it's best to have about 15 Energies in your deck. All Basic Psychic. If you can tech in at least 1 Lady, then awesome because grabs you 4 energies that you can use quickly attach with your Xatu, but she's not a necessity. Energy Retrievals are you friend. Make sure you have at least 2 Super Rods, too. I have 3 Mew ex in my deck, too. For that extra draw. Always great if you can have 1 or 0 cards in your hand to maximize your draw. Even use switches, even if Mew ex is in the active spot. Yes, it has free retreat, but the idea is to use up your cards for that extra draw. You can only retreat once per turn. So, if you switch to another Mew ex, then that's good, too. Then, you can always free retreat to Espathra ex.

• bugman32
    bugman32 Member Posts: 29
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    Options

man, looking at this stuff makes me feel old school still using only pokemon from EX and Sun and Moon, LOL!

• bugman32
    bugman32 Member Posts: 29
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    Options

bro my man SkeledirgeFlame really doesn't like Charizard ex! LOL!

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

I don't know why people think this card is so hard to beat. It's actually pretty easy to take down. 🤦

• Perfect_Jab
    Perfect_Jab Member Posts: 12
    First Comment 5 Agrees Name Dropper
    Options

My complaint isnt about it being hard to take down. Its playing 5 mathes an 4 of them play charizard. Gets boring an repetitive. An also gets annoying when the matches end really fast too. Other then a win, whats to gain from it. Collect your 10 points…cool.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

I actually haven't played against much zard lately. I'm around Umbreon rank and having been mostly playing against Raging Bolt and Future Hands. I do see how it could get annoying to play against the same deck over and over, but sometimes that's just how the cookie crumbles.

• Virovision
    Virovision Member Posts: 14
    First Comment Photogenic 5 Agrees Name Dropper
    Options

I also am getting tired of seeing the Charizard ex coming out all the time. Basically, you can't enjoy any other decks because you have to ensure that all you play is a check that can have a chance to beat Charizard ex. IMO it should be limited like others where it can't use that same attack next round.

• Virovision
    Virovision Member Posts: 14
    First Comment Photogenic 5 Agrees Name Dropper
    Options

Also, to be very clear there are more than 1 Charizard ex, and when you pair the Paldean Fates with the MEW card it's pretty unstoppable.

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

Virtually no one in the competitive circuit (internationals and regionals) plays the original 151 (MEW) Charizard. They just play the OBF/PAF one.