Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What's the main thing you play Pokémon for and why?

Options

Comments

• PiggyBatman123
    PiggyBatman123 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

I definitely play just for fun, but also because there are so many pokemon that every time I play, its a mystery which pokemon I catch!

• zzzidy
    zzzidy Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

above all, pokemon is a collectathon style game - but one of the best imo! i cant play without trying to fill my dex. i love having options to customize my team - terratypes and all that really made the game more special in that aspect.

i only put cute pokemon on my team. the less cute ones hang out in the box. but its nice to know theyre on standby!

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Generally I play through the story and try to catch all the new Pokémon to add to my living Pokédex. I am interested in the competitive scene and have tried to get into it a number of times, but every time I start trying to plan a team with a game plan more complex than varied type coverage I get overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices and give up.

• Awnas
    Awnas Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

I think that mostly for the Pokemon themselves, that would apply to both older and newer games for me. I'm not really interested in catching them all or shiny hunting, but I want to collect my favourites or newer ones that had caught my interest.

In the newer games I would say that I enjoy the characters. I know that Pokemon games don't really have much character development or anything like that, but I adore the designs and personalities that are shown to us. For example, I didn't really enjoy Elite 4 and champion battles in Scarlet&Violet that much. But I really like the Elite 4 members themselves and even attempt to make Rika's cosplay because I simply love her design.

• TylerTheHuman
    TylerTheHuman Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

GEN 1: Story

GEN 2: Story+Shiny Hunting+Coin case Glitch

GEN 3: Story+Shiny Hunting

GEN 4: Story+Void glitch

GEN 5: Story

GEN 6: Story+Secret bases in OR/AS

GEN 7: Story+Masuda method shiny hunting

GEN 8: Battle Tower+Masuda method shiny hunting

GEN 9: Haven't played yet

• Funboy35
    Funboy35 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

I enjoy showing off in cooperative multiplayer. Max Raid Battles? I’ve got Boxes of Pokémon trained for ‘em. Super Contest Shows? You bet I’m aiming for 100%. (But the style of Tera Raid Battles isn’t as exciting for me….)

I also want to keep up with what the community’s talking about, whether it’s the story or the gameplay.

And finally, it’s comforting to try familiar activities with new Pokémon, as well as new activities with familiar Pokémon. Each has its own charm.

• Seority
    Seority Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Love collecting and customizing!

Pokémon HOME is a god-send 😇

• 10types
    10types Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes
    Options

Definitely not the competitive scene lol. Probably just the YouTube community and also ofc cuz it's an amazing game

• trainercarlo
    trainercarlo Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

When I was younger, maybe around 10-12, I was fascinated by the Ash's journey to be a Pokémon Master, so that's what I wanted to be (even though I just played Mystery Dungeon most of the time.) Then in my teens I got into the gaming aspect of it and got super invested in plots from X&Y, Heartgold, Sun & Moon. Then this year, when I went to play the online TCG version, I noticed that it got an update, which led me to kind of "start new" and make new decks and strategies. So now, I'm totally back into the TCG aspect of Pokémon and excited with the idea of battling others, trading, and opening new packs!

• maxytreecko
    maxytreecko Member Posts: 10
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    Options

I play it for fun.