Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Ladder and Meta decks

Options
MiszFortune
MiszFortune Member Posts: 5
First Comment

I know I'm not a top player or anything but I feel like it is impossible to compete in ranked. I get to Greninja level and get back to back tournament level decks matched against me. Maybe there is just a lack of players but it would be nice if that were more in Ultra/Master league.

My strongest deck right now is Chien-Pao but I lose what feels like most of ranked matches. They just slap down Path to the Peak and I become useless. Lost decks, Mew, Arceus and Lugia all destroy me 90% of the time. Even bringing something like Drapion for Mew decks doesn't work for me.

Just built Ting-Lu ex because I was sick of going against lost decks every other match but unless I get the perfect start, they easily get around it with bosses orders or.. surprise surprise.. path to the peak . Is lost zone just unbeatable right now?

I would play casual but games are even SLOWER there and it's mostly new players.

Comments

• uncomonfossil
    uncomonfossil Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    Options

I tend to get stuck around Greninja/Great League myself. Once you hit this rank you gain 20 points for a win & lose 20 points for a loss. Before this it is 20 points for a win & 10 points for a loss.

I like to try out different decks, so my win rate tends to be inconsistent. But I am fine with this situation.

If you are looking for more consistent win rates & moving up the ladder, my suggestion is trying out a few of the top meta decks. Play a specific deck for a day or two so that you get the feel of it. You should find a deck that suits you, and the experience with the other decks will help when you play against them.

Finally, the game takes practice & try not to worry about your rank, it really doesn't matter too much.

• MiszFortune
    MiszFortune Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Options

https://community.pokemon.com/en-us/discussion/comment/15036#Comment_15036Yea I get that but it'd be nice to get the rewards, and it's still really hard to climb even while gaining 20 and losing 10 lol. I absolutely hate lost deck so I don't wanna use that and the rest are really costly to make.

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

You have chosen an avarage deck (tier 2). Chien-Pao ex decks performance it's far from the top tier decks (tier S and tier 1)... you can check the results in limitless you will see how poor it is compared to the main variants of Lost Zone, Lugia VStar, Arceus VStar, Gardevoir ex and Mew VMax.

So no surprise you are losing a lot in ranked Great League, to have better chances you should use a stronger deck.

Lost zone decks are not unbeatable at all, specially in the ranked ladder many players make bad moves, if you have a good stratagy to that match you will win more then lose. For that you must have a better deck, know what to do to win and not just play all your moves on the fly.

• Ifanyonecan
    Ifanyonecan Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Options

Have you tried carrying a klefki, minikyu and a couple of quaquaval, as well as your drapion? Klefki and minikyu are cheap buys if you don't have them. I found Quaquaval and chien pao combined improved my win % and you should hopefully have a few of them. As you won't need much energy you can carry four stadium to bounce out path to the peak.

• Altilt
    Altilt Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

I have my collection from the previous client and even using decks like Arceus Duraladon, it's honestly kinda rough going through the lower ranks. There are a lot of very competent players piloting well-tuned decks even in Pokéball rank.

I kind of like that this game has an actually competitive ladder and not one that's completely free to climb like other games, but the fact that ladder rewards are so sparsely distributed among ranks is kind of a bummer. It wouldn't feel as bad trying to climb if it wasn't for the fact that you know you're going to have to play 50+ games to even get close to the next reward tier.

• Ampersundae
    Ampersundae Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Agrees Photogenic First Comment
    Options

I had a decent grass deck from Online, so last month when they entice you with a nice grass type coin, I was like why not go for the matching deck box? Of course I trotted up those first tiers, but was then surprised when some bad matchups would set me back. All I really wanted was a deck box, that in Live, you see for half a second once anyways. You could reach Arceus tier this month, and next, I wouldn't know that you were formerly the very best, like no one ever was.

• Spookytony13
    Spookytony13 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options

Okay so, a deck the revolves around paralyze is kind of broken for ranked. I recommend trying some condition decks so that you can grind down decks like lost zone or lugia

• ProfessorOkeefe
    ProfessorOkeefe Member Posts: 16
    First Comment First Answer
    Options

Lost zone, I've heard of that.

• Paulib1989
    Paulib1989 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options

I struggled alot at the start with the lost decks they are a huge pain. I've recently been running a Chinese pao X palkia v deck and it's been having little difficulty against them. Currently on a 9 game win streak and just moved into houndoom level lafue. Greninja is beast for taking out comfrys and the lower hp things, providing there isn't a manphy sat on their bench., also has zero problems against mimikyu. Just alter your deck slightly to allow for the change in opponents decks.