Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Am I the Only One Who Thinks Legends Arceus' Story isn't all that Great?

D-ManBlue
D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

Allow me to explain, at least on my personal gripes with it:

1. Most of the characters felt forgettable, and the conflict between the Pearl and Diamond Clans really didn't interest me. In fact, I thought they kind of came across as little better than Team Magma and Aqua (Adaman, how does time lead to the world being created?)
  2. The Miss Fortuna sisters were underutilized. Dialogue suggests that there's some history but we never really get a chance to hear their side of it all. Unless I'm missing something?
  3. I would have appreciated more about the growing dynamic between humans and Pokemon. I didn't do a lot of the side quests, though, so this one may be on me.

Best Answer

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary
    #2 Answer ✓

I think the world is very poorly established, and the mechanics do not reflect the world we are told our character has literally dropped out of the sky into.

In previous games, characters talk about wild Pokémon being more dangerous and harder to train, but they also talk about a world without Pokeballs. Living characters in the modern era talk of their own memories of it.

Throughout PLA itself, we are told that no one really had success catching more than a few Pokémon until the main character showed them how to do it.

Yet from the beginning, everyone seems to be catching Pokemon in Pokeballs just fine. We don't see any Pokémon rebel or break out of a defective ball. As far as the gameplay and the game world shows us, it works on the same rules as the modern era.

I think it shows a lack of imagination to develop a Pokémon game without Pokeballs. Or rather, perhaps a lack of time to work on it or explore alternative ideas when the next game needs to be out within the span of a year.

And as is common with 3D Pokémon games, the character designs are appealing, but the characters themselves are very flat and shallow. You learn their general attitude and a couple of quirks and then they act that way for the rest of the game, while performing their designated quirk throughout dialogue.

Just as we have the standard Pokémon machanics with a couple of tweets (battle styles and capture without battle) the narrative is more or less the same narrative (overcome a threat caused by a legendary Pokémon, or the person using them) with the tweaks being the setting is the past so there are no gyms, Pokémon Centres or Pokemarts.

Answers

• sprinkles100198
    sprinkles100198 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic

i agree i also didn't like how you need to catch all the pokemon you've seen to get arceus because i caught dialga and palkia and i got all the plates the mysterious papers buried i am so close but the pokemon i need are a space time warp and as mentioned before i caught dialga and palkia

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@TheJeffers I for one found the setting to be rather...jarring in a way. Honestly, a Pokemon game without anything like Gyms just doesn't really feel like a Pokemon game. And the optimism of the world and the focus on the connections between people and Pokemon? Gone, dashed to nothing. We instead have the captain of the Survey Corps being scared of a Wurmple, and any exploration of the growing friendship between people and Pokemon relegated to side quests rather than the main narrative.