Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

I'm new to this so I may need a guide on how to do things here?

Options
wolxer
wolxer Member Posts: 1
Photogenic

I have several decks with different types but I want to build my own but I'm new on putting together the deck so I needed some advice to make it work?

Answers

• Payten2011
    Payten2011 Member Posts: 9
    5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

this game sucks people are greedy and no one helps for anything on top of that this new update is screwed up and they took all my good cards and you cant even make a good deck to play with anymore

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

Make your own competitive decks from scratch it's not an easy task... and it's not easy to explain it in a satisfying way here either.

I recommend you the check out this guide for deck building from Pokémon web page itself, it's a pretty nice way to start:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/designing-a-deck-from-scratch

• LaughingCi
    LaughingCi Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

I recommend you start with Mew VMAX deck, which is relatively easy to play and cheap to build. Once you are familiar with it and battle with different opponents' decks, you will figure out yourself which deck you wanna play next.

• Antoniobrav2310
    Antoniobrav2310 Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Making your own deck can be difficult. You have ti take into account Energy acceleration, draw power, damage output, setup... The best way to start is playing with an already done deck that somehow works to see what a Deck needs and how it can be made. As @LaughingCi said, Mew VMAX is probably the best Deck to start, being simple but effective.

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

I agree that Mew is a good place to start, you could buy two of its league battle deck and combine them, it’s a relatively cheap ($60) and simple way to make a solid Mew VMAX deck.

• Bolt_Boy25
    Bolt_Boy25 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs First Answer
    Options

I used a half deck from the pokemon international championships to base my deck on but then changed out some cards and added more cards. I used greninja btw.

• nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper
    Options

It's easy and simple to look up popular decklists online and copy those, or to take an official starter deck and swap out individual cards as you see fit. As people above me have said, the Mew VMax battle deck is excellent if you are interested in using that kind of deck. But if you want to build your own deck from scratch, try using the following process as a starting point:

1. Pick a strong Pokemon you like and put 4 copies of it into your deck.
    2. Pick a second Pokemon that uses the same Energy type and works well with your first Pokemon, and add a few copies of that too. (Mix things up if you can. If your first Pokemon is a 2-Prize, consider using a 1-Prize as your second Pokemon. If your first Pokemon is an Evolution, maybe use a Basic Pokemon as your second.)
    3. Add in as many Trainers, Supporters, and Pokemon Abilities as possible that help you set up your main two Pokemon as quickly as possible. (In particular, look to add card draw, card searching, and ways to attach extra Energy.)
    4. If you have a Stage 2 Pokemon, consider including Rare Candy in your deck instead of its Stage 1 card. This will let you play your Stage 2 Pokemon one turn earlier.
    5. If any of your main Pokemon have 2 Colorless in their attack requirements, add 4 Double Colorless Energy.
    6. Add roughly 8-15 Basic Energy to complete your deck.
    7. As you play, continue to modify your deck by removing and replacing cards that you notice don't win you many games.
    8. After your matches, ask your opponents if they can think of any helpful cards that you don't yet know about.

And that's about it! Deckbuilding can be a little bit more challenging if your main Pokemon has unique abilities and requirements, but the overall deckbuilding process remains mostly unchanged.