Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

The upcoming Pokemon GO set and acquiring its cards.

Options
ShiningLancer
ShiningLancer Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker

ASR and PGO have release dates and how will PGO be handled in the battle pass?

1. A second concurrent battle pass for Pokemon GO.
  2. No battle pass for Pokemon GO. Any cards you want from the set must be obtained by crafting or irl codes.
  3. Has a battle pass for Pokemon GO but the Astral Radiance pass only gives you 38 days to complete all 70 tiers.

Option 2 is bad if the set has more than 1 good ultra rare card due to how few credits can be earned in-game. Option 3 is bad because you can only reasonably earn 1 tier of the battle pass per day. A good compromise would be option 1 or giving Astral Radiance a shortened 30 tier battle pass with the full rewards of a regular 70 tier pass.

I was going to make this a poll but polls are another feature of this forum that are broken.

Edit. Would you believe that it took almost 2 hours to get this past the filter?

Comments

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

I don't know why you think that no battle pass would also mean it's not in the store.

Battle Pass is probably only main sets though.

• ShiningLancer
    Options

@TechHog

I don't know why you think that no battle pass would also mean it's not in the store.

If a player with 0 crystals started using all of their 40 daily crystals on that set on from the day of release until the next main set which I assume is at the end of August, they would be able to obtain a whole 13 packs of the Pokemon GO set.

• TechHog
    Options

You said "must." And anyway, by this logic they need to go back and give all older sets a battle pass too, and repeat them for newer players.

The app is meant to be a companion for players of the physical game. Unfortunately, that means that not everything is going to be 100% F2P friendly. Overcomplicating things with a second battle pass when the game is barely functioning just to keep people who want to open the packs for free happy is not something they should be prioritizing right now. Be happy that there is an option at least, since on PTCGO you can bet that this will be 100% codes only. At least you'll likely have the option of using gems and credits here.

• ShiningLancer
    Options

That interpretation is completely fair and I understand wanting to cut off us F2P parasites if that is really the developer's intention.

So far I've spent about 30 USD to get 375 codes and have 100000 credits banked for the future which might last one set if I splurge (crafting 4 of every regular art Pokemon V in Astral Radiance would cost 104000 credits). For a normal person that would be experiencing this companion app, those 375 codes are 1500 USD in physical product.

I'll remain optimistic that the full game will offer some avenue for F2P players to grow their collection beyond the 40 crystals per day and ~6000 credits per battle pass.

Be happy that there is an option at least, since on PTCGO you can bet that this will be 100% codes only. 

A final off-topic remark from me. I don't really care if it is code-only since PTCGO has trading. I recently started filling out my BRS collection and I like that I can get 2-3 pokemon V for a single old pack or 10 holos for a single old pack. On ptcgl it would take me 5 packs for a single V or 3 packs for a single holo (assuming non-celebrations codes).

• TechHog
    Options

@ShiningLancer So, your complaint is largely that you want to use this as a collection app and get playsets of every card in each set? In that case, yes, the crafting system is horrible for you, but that's also not what it's designed for. They want collectors focusing on the physical cards. Systems like these are made to help you get cards you want for playing.

Either way, the fact that they can't get a few promos working in standard after over a month makes me think that PGO won't even be legal/implemented in the game until 1-3 months after release, let alone have its own battle pass.