Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What's the best way to get a good handle on how to play PTCG?

Options

Hi there! Long time pokemon fan here, but I'm just now starting to want to learn how to actually play the card game because I've always thought it looks really fun. However, as someone who has never played these types of card games (yugioh, magic, etc) it seems really daunting.

Is this game/online tgc games like this a good way to start learning how to play? Ive played a couple games a d have started to kind of get the gist of things, however being paired with someone who obviously knows what they are doing and knows how to set up their board perfectly vs. someone like me who basically just started is really frustrating and I feel like I'm spending most of my limited time window clicking on cards trying to learn what they do... which makes me think maybe this is not the best way to learn, especially with the matchmaking.

I've got one friend who'd like to learn as well, so we could meet up and learn the physical way, but my cards consist of cards i've collected for looks, and same for him. If we were to do so, i feel like we'd have to invest some money into getting at least some starter decks and such, which is fine, but... idk.

Anyways, the point of this is that I want to know where y'all think is a good starting place to learn! Thank you <3

Comments

• stealthboy2600
    stealthboy2600 Member Posts: 27
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Find a local league and play in person! That is the best way to learn. Just go get a couple pre-made 60-card Battle decks and start there.

• trainer381277
    trainer381277 Member Posts: 25
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I think finding a league and going every week is the best way but a lot of people do it by just playing online. Ptcglive has some premade decks for you to use to at least know how to play well

• Bmacthemage
    Bmacthemage Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

My suggestion would be to find a Youtube video on the rules and then you and your friend could play against each other. If you have a printer available, you can proxy cards to test with, so you know what you want to buy for cards/packs, either IRL or in Live to keep yourself from wasting resources.

The game's rules are pretty simple and haven't changed much over the years, and you'll be able to pick it up no problem after playing some games.

Alternatively, if you have a local game store, you should go and play people in person. the community is super welcoming and if you'd like to learn how to play before you buy anything, there is someone that possibly has a few decks that they can teach you guys with.

• BunnySauce
    BunnySauce Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper 5 Agrees
    Options

If you're looking to try in-person on the cheap, you can try the recently released Worlds 2022 decks ($15). Comes with a complete deck, but the cards are thinner and lower quality, and are basically proxies (so you wouldn't be able to bring this to a league or tournament), but it's cheaper than building a real deck and a good way to learn to play without fully investing right away. And they give you a deck box, sleeve, and coin cosmetic in the game too.

If you don't sleeve them, you'll have to "riffle" shuffle them, "mash" shuffling doesn't really work with unsleeved decks.

Otherwise, as stealthboy2600 mentioned, the V Battle League decks are pretty competent full decks of actual cards that you CAN use in leagues and tournaments and go for about $30. Then if you like what you're playing, you can invest a bit more and upgrade them to more optimal decks.

Otherwise, the Live client has friend battles too and you and your friend could mess about with the starter decks in that to get a grip on the game. However, there's no way to turn off the turn timer in friend battles, hopefully they add an unlimited time option in the future.

• Bmacthemage
    Bmacthemage Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

My suggestion would be to find a Youtube video on the rules and then you and your friend could play against each other. If you have a printer available, you can proxy cards to test with, so you know what you want to buy for cards/packs, either IRL or in Live to keep yourself from wasting resources.

The game's rules are pretty simple and haven't changed much over the years, and you'll be able to pick it up no problem after playing some games.

Alternatively, if you have a local game store, you should go and play people in person. the community is super welcoming and if you'd like to learn how to play before you buy anything, there is someone that possibly has a few decks that they can teach you guys with.