Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Please implement skill based matchmaking on casual

Options

I haven't won a single game lol. I'd like to start out with my cute little normal types to get better at the game. It's pay to win otherwise.

Comments

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

The devs have been working on this game for over 5 years and this is the best they could do. You really think they're competent enough to program SBM?

• Lambalazar
    Lambalazar Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

@TechHog Last time you mentioned a development time it was 2 years, now it’s 5

Uh huh

• Resilient30
    Resilient30 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

That should be a ranked thing, matchmaking with similar ranks

• noriLOXic
    noriLOXic Member Posts: 27
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

PTCGO basically had a beginner's space with the Theme category. It really ought to be reintroduced. People say theme decks ended with Vivid Voltage, but all they really did was change the name to Battle Decks.

I think PTCGL would really benefit from the introduction of a few more categories, such as: Theme/Mirror (level playing field; great for beginners), Single-Prize (no V), Pauper (Commons only; low resource), and Gym Challenge (one per card limit for non-basic energies). Introducing these categories will open more doors for engagement and allow this TCG to shine at its fullest potential!

• noriLOXic
    noriLOXic Member Posts: 27
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

PTCGO basically had a beginner's space with the Theme category. It really ought to be reintroduced. People say theme decks ended with Vivid Voltage, but all they really did was change the name to Battle Decks.

I think PTCGL would really benefit from the introduction of a few more categories, such as: Theme/Mirror (level playing field; great for beginners), Single-Prize (no V), Pauper (Commons only; low resource), and Gym Challenge (one per card limit for non-basic energies). Introducing these categories will open more doors for engagement and allow this TCG to shine at its fullest potential.

One more thing I'd like to add is that the ranking system needs to be more nuanced than just a win-loss ratio or an elo rating. Everything is deck-dependent, so unless there's a formula that integrates how competitive the deck is relative to all other existing decks, ranks will be pretty useless.

The Ranked category, on the other hand, works well because it assumes that one must play a meta deck to be competitive and it was always meant to be a free-for-all with Standard cards, but in the Casual format, the matchmaking system could use more work (and that work could simply be introducing more categories; see paragraph 2).

The LIVE app has done a lot right by favoring effort over results and making ladder rewards achievable just for playing instead of tying it to wins. It's a system that rewards time and effort and keeps the player coming back, so good job, development team! If the statistics could be more nuanced than a simple win-loss ratio in one's profile, it will go even further in encouraging players to come back. I'm personally not bothered by the win-loss ratio, but I know a lot of other people feel discouraged if the ratio doesn't skew in their favor. For a statistic that isn't really all that useful, anyway, having it prominently displayed on one's profile ought to be reconsidered. I think it would be more useful to have win-loss tied to individual decks and to have one's Ranked position be displayed on the profile, instead. Displaying Group Greninja in Great League in the profile is more empowering than a 40% general win-loss ratio, for example.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    edited February 2023 #7
    Options

I learned recently that the reason the original announcement had the game support Lost Thunder as the oldest set was that development started around the release of that set. Believe it or not, people sometimes get new information later. Crazy, I know.

• trainer381277
    trainer381277 Member Posts: 25
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

play Ranked, sbmm doesn't belong in casual play on any game. But your gonna have a hard time finding people that aren't playing good decks, as there is no theme deck mode anymore idk, might have to play a prebuilt list