Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Vulpix Deck Advice

Options

Hi all! I'm trying to make an effective Vulpix Vstar deck but am having trouble really finding a way of making it work. I've been stuck in Scorbunny rank and while I know I could totally just modify a Meta deck, I'd much rather be a little more creative.

I also don't have a lot of credits so crafting new cards is a bit slow going. Still, any and all advice is welcome, as I'm trying to see what you guys would suggest from the card pool that I very well may not be aware of. This is for Standard. THANKS ALL!

Pokémon: 19

1 Frosmoth SSH 64

1 Dragonite V PGO 49

1 Dragonite V PR-SW 235

1 Dragonite VSTAR PR-SW 236

2 Suicune V EVS 31

2 Inteleon V RCL 49

2 Bibarel BRS 121

2 Bidoof BRS 120

2 Inteleon VMAX RCL 50

2 Alolan Vulpix V SIT 33

1 Snom FST 84

2 Alolan Vulpix VSTAR SIT 34

Trainer: 22

1 Bede SSH 157

4 Air Balloon SSH 156

2 Energy Retrieval EVO 77

1 Poké Kid SSH 173

1 Energy Search BCR 128

1 Pokémon Breeder's Nurturing DAA 166

1 Poké Kid SSH 173

3 Sonia RCL 167

1 Pokémon Breeder's Nurturing DAA 195

2 Melony CRE 146

1 Klara CRE 145

1 Great Ball XY 118

1 Great Ball EPO 93

1 Energy Search SSH 161

1 Lady FLI 109

Energy: 19

2 Basic {W} Energy GEN 77

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 38

1 Basic {L} Energy Energy 30

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 3

1 Basic {L} Energy GEN 78

1 Basic {W} Energy Energy 11

1 Basic {L} Energy EVO 94

1 Basic {W} Energy GEN 77

1 Basic {L} Energy Energy 48

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 47

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 29

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 20

1 Wash {W} Energy VIV 165

Total Cards: 60

Answers

• kot123456
    kot123456 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Options

I'm no tord reklev or sander but I think I can give a few tips for your deck. First off I think you need to cut down on the energies. There's a very high chance that you get a full energy hand and just lose the next turn. And you might need a few consistency and disruption cards like Marnie (or Judge for future-proofing) and professors maybe. Also I think you need a main attacker pokemon, that has high consistent damage and HP pool/survivalbility, inteleon does a measly 160 damage that doesn't hit weakness on any meta deck for 3 energy. His bench damage is also countered by manaphy. And his weakness is a very popular typing as of now. Vulpix could work but it's 240 HP pool means you get blown up by any pokemon that doesn't have an ability. I think instead of making a deck around Vulpix you could use it as a secondary attacker or wall. Palkia kruyem are pretty good attacking pokemon. These are all just my opinion though. If you really want a deck where you use Vulpix as your attacker I'd say choose cards that cover it's weaknesses.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

Do not aim for 20-20-20, ever. It creates a bricky deck, not a balanced one. You also need draw supporters (Professor's Research, Marnie, and Serena, NOT HOP), Quick Balls, and Ultra Balls. Using supporters for Pokemon search is a waste. Don't be afraid of discarding.

• Flame_Alchemist
    Flame_Alchemist Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Ok so if I understand both of you correctly, you are recommending the following:

- Add in a consistent high attacker like Palkia and/or Kyurem

- Cut down the energies a bit

- Add some drawing trainers

- replace the Pokemon searchers for Ball cards

Beyond that, do you think Sonia is good? I've found that card to be super useful, but again, I don't know if there's better. Still, this is all something I can work with. I really like Inteleon because it helps me deal with Miltank which neutralizes all my Pokemon, so that I can still got the bench. I'm sure there's better solutions, of course.

I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the recommendations, I'll be back with my results in a few days.

• Flame_Alchemist
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Alright, here's my newly modified deck. It is definitely doing better, but it's still a little too slow to work properly. Part of the problem is that i don't really have any heavy hitters in my collection. I did but a bunch of Crown Zenith boosters though, so that should hopefully help add to my digital collection.

Pokémon: 20

1 Frosmoth SSH 64

1 Radiant Blastoise PGO 18

1 Dragonite V PGO 49

1 Dragonite V PR-SW 235

1 Dragonite VSTAR PR-SW 236

2 Suicune V EVS 31

2 Inteleon V RCL 49

2 Bibarel BRS 121

2 Bidoof BRS 120

2 Inteleon VMAX RCL 50

2 Alolan Vulpix V SIT 33

1 Snom FST 84

2 Alolan Vulpix VSTAR SIT 34

Trainer: 25

1 Bede SSH 157

4 Air Balloon SSH 156

2 Energy Retrieval EVO 77

1 Energy Search BCR 128

1 Marnie SSH 169

1 Marnie SSH 200

3 Sonia RCL 167

1 Pokémon Breeder's Nurturing DAA 195

2 Melony CRE 146

1 Klara CRE 145

1 Great Ball XY 118

1 Great Ball EPO 93

1 Energy Search SSH 161

1 Lady FLI 109

1 Quick Ball SSH 179

1 Quick Ball FST 237

1 Ultra Ball DEX 102

1 Ultra Ball FLF 99

Energy: 15

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 38

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 3

1 Basic {W} Energy Energy 11

1 Basic {L} Energy EVO 94

1 Basic {W} Energy GEN 77

1 Basic {L} Energy Energy 48

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 47

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 29

2 Basic {W} Energy Energy 20

1 Wash {W} Energy VIV 165

Anyway, thanks so far for the advice, and more is always welcome.

• skaerkrow
    skaerkrow Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

Hey yo!

One of the key things in any TCG is consistency. Have a think about what your game plan is and do everything you can during deckbuilding to increase the probability of being able to do those things :)

From how it looks, your main line is using a Frosmoth to power up something schnasty, with a couple of draw engines in Bibarel/Suicune V, right?

So first things first I feel like you want to convert a few of the energies and the less impactful pokemon (you'll have a better feel for which pokemon aren't getting as much payoff in general) into extra copies of Quick Ball, Ultra Ball, Professor's Research (all of which I believe you have from Battle Pass decks) because it's really important to find the pieces of your own puzzle fast :)

Irida is kinda fire for a deck like this too but is a lil costly to craft (give us more credits pls devs) as well as potentially swapping Radiant Blastoise for Radiant Greninja as generally drawing two cards should be worth more than two damage counters in a deck like this but I've not played the deck so you might be getting a bunch of snipe mileage out of it idk

I will straight up say from the outside and having not played the deck I don't see the value in Bede, Klara, Lady, Breeder's Nurturing, and probably 1-2 of the Air Balloons. They don't seem to add anything to your gameplan, except possibly Lady who could very easily be replaced with Capacious Bucket which I borderline feel like you should consider running 4 copies of (especially when you have 2 Energy Search in there too)

How's the Dragonite squad playing out for you? It's your biggest chunk of damage but it doesn't look super worth from the outside, dilutes the energy and can't be powered up by Frosmoth

Suicune V is a super underrated attacker though especially when Eternatus Vmax is a popular deck right now lmao, consider replacing some things with a couple of copies of Switch so you can maximise the card draw on them (seeing as I'm expecting the Air Balloons to be in there for Suicune but you can only retreat once per turn, Switch will let you generate a little bit more potential value out of them as well as being a handy card for a bunch of other potential situations)

Sorry this was hella rambly and I don't wanna seem like I'm stepping on any of your choices etc but hopefully this'll give you a couple things to think about movin forwards ;o

Oh yeh as an afterthought Boss's Orders is one of the best ways to interact with or disrupt your opponent's game plan while also sneaking past Miltanks and Decidueyes so having access to an effect like that should help a lot lmao

• Flame_Alchemist
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Oh that's very in depth i like it! I'll take all these tips in mind as i move towards fulfilling my vision. Thank you all so much! I think this is plenty info to work with for now.

Now it's just time to save up currency and craft what i need. Bless you all!

• Flame_Alchemist
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Oh and to answer your question, Dragonite helps with making the opponent discard energy but nothing beyond that. It's definitely a weak spot in the deck. I originally built the deck for him but I learned over time that he's not as good as I thought.

• Resilient30
    Resilient30 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

I'm decently new to TCG, but I found that Kingler V/V-max are good for getting energy on any energy heavy pokemon. You could pair with Blastoise V-Max to get a big blow, or Keldeo V who has high potential, or spread among all your pokemon.