Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

[BUG REPORT] Cynthia's Ambition not playable if Pokémon leaves discard pile

Cladderly
Cladderly Member Posts: 1

I have recently noticed when playing my Rapid Strike Malamar deck that I can't use Cynthia's Ambition to draw to 8 cards (requires that one of my pokemon was knocked out last turn) if I remove the pokemon that was knocked out from my discard pile with cards like rescue carrier or ordinary rod.

I'm not exactly sure that this is what is preventing me from playing Cynthia's Ambition, but it seems to be the case.

Ex. Malamar was knocked out on my opponents turn. Now it is my turn and I have Cynthia's Ambition in my hand and a total of 6 cards in my hand. At this current time, Cynthia's Ambition is lit up as if I can play it for the full effect of draw to 8 cards. However, to maximize the number of cards I draw, I choose to use ordinary rod first to get the Inkay and Malamar back into my deck, and lower the amount of cards in my hand. After doing so, Cynthia's Ambition is no longer lit up and cannot be played. However, other supporters in my hand such as Korina's Focus can be played without problem.

Comments

• Tgurneu
    Tgurneu Member Posts: 37
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments

Hmm, wonder if it might be related to this other bug with Raihan I reported some time ago. The situation (and affected "condition") seems similar enough. Haven't encountered it since the update, but haven't really tried to check for it. Evo Incense is still bugged though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it still weren't fixed.

https://community.pokemon.com/en-us/discussion/146/bug-raihan-appears-to-become-unusable-when-using-ordinary-rod-on-the-last-knocked-out-pokemon

Some sort of bug tracker, with someone in the dev team updating as stuff is worked on/fixed would certainly be helpful.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Okay, this is a major bug and should be enough to delay release. The game is not being programmed properly at all if it's checking if a card that was in play was sent to the discard pile instead of checking the gamestate of if a Pokemon was knocked out. That's a HUGE oversight, and it means that the devs need to slow down and to have official judges/professors in the room validating everything they do. Being able to properly check gamestate is far too important.

I really don't mean to be insulting to the devs, but it's clear that there's a serious lack of experience here when it comes to both game development and the TCG. There are so many things that shouldn't be happening, especially since those things are already solved in PTCGO but just... aren't carried over for some reason. The game also plays like it's permanently in tutorial mode, which is a huge problem when the timer is as short and messed up as it is. Devs, please consider asking for more time to work on this. It should launch in February 2023 alongside Scarlet & Violet base set at the earliest to give time to fix the game properly, and to get feedback on fixing the UX. Things like hiding the hand when selecting a new active Pokemon isn't a "feature" that anyone who understands how to play this game would even consider having in the game. There's nothing to let you know which player played a stadium either. It feels like the devs watched a Pokemon Play It! video and then got to work with some of the things here. This is before even mentioning the economy and how they're afraid of giving any amount of gems to the player.

• Mod_Bee
    Mod_Bee Moderator Posts: 334 mod
    25 LOLs 5 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Answers

Hi Trainers,

Thank you for reporting this. I'll send this over to the development team for review.

• TheCrusader4
    TheCrusader4 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper

@TechHog I absolutely agree... the devs clearly need more experienced, dedicated testers. How the Elesa's Sparkle "fix" made it to production is beyond me. It took every Mew player exactly one game to figure out that it didn't work the way it was intended.

• TheCrusader4
    TheCrusader4 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper

That being said, I don't think it's that the game isn't actually checking for a knockout properly, it probably has more to do with Ordinary Rod hiding that Pokemon from the gamestate checker (since it's now in the deck). Which is still bad, but not as bad as it simply checking for whether a Pokemon was discarded - I'm sure we'd have reports of this happening with Collapsed Stadium too if that was the case.