Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Radom Idea: Homebrew Dungeons and Dragons, with the campaign based on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

JuliusVercelli
JuliusVercelli Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
25 Agrees Photogenic First Answer Name Dropper

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been done before, but honestly it would be fun. Though I’m curious if anyone can think of any changes and how the rules would change from traditional D&D

Comments

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 100 LOLs

instead of magic use special attacks

Instead of weapons use physical attacks

Monsters are just powerful Pokemon

You are a Pokemon

Wait why does this sound familiar (mystery dungeon)

• clasingla
    edited August 26 #3

Jokes aside it would be pretty similar except D&D Pokémon attacks would rely more on rng than accuracy since even 100% accurate moves in game could still miss in D&D

(Edit 2) that’s probably the main difference rather than that it’s more likely that all the players came from the human world

Also I would like to join

• clasingla

Also homebrew items in Pokémon related way

(I love homebrew items in my current D&D campaign I have a runeix cube a powerful homebrew item that can do any spell randomly half your current spell slot rounded up and you can use 3 times also you can use it with one of your spells to make the spell save dc +1)

• PokemiiAC
    PokemiiAC Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    25 Likes 5 Answers 500 Comments 25 LOLs

I call upon arceus to utterly destroy all who stand in my way

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

I would definitely join this campaign

• Tacolaser
    Tacolaser Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 5 Answers 25 Agrees 25 Likes

I vaguely remember something called Dungeons and Dragonites.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Don't use Dungeons & Dragons for everything! Tabletop is a lot broader than just D&D, and not everything maps onto a fantasy combat and role play system.

Just about every property without its own official tabletop ruleset has a few dozen fanmade systems. Something as big and culturally significant as Pokémon probably has hundreds. I can guarantee that without even looking.

Heck, if you wanted to make your own half the work is already done for you given that the series itself provides a combat system. You could map it 1:1 just using percentile dice/d100 to simulate attack rolls and other random chance in the game.

You could simplify it for tabletop if you want.

From there you would just need character skills for non-Pokémon battle interactions such as talking to NPCs or navigating the world.

I feel Call of Cthulu would be a better fit for what you want than D&D. In fact, a lot of Japanese gaming takes inspiration more from CoC than D&D.

• JuliusVercelli
    JuliusVercelli Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees Photogenic First Answer Name Dropper

Well, the thing is, DND is the only tabetop RPG I am familiar with. I have no experience with the other ones you mentioned.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@JuliusVercelli

That seems to be a common vicious cycle in tabletop circles.

People only play D&D, because it is the only system they are familiar with. And they are only familiar with that system exclusively because it is the only one they play.

The solution is obvious. Play another system. Then D&D won't be the only one you know.

I am not putting down D&D or people who enjoy it. If that is what you want to play, go nuts. I am DMing a 5e campaign myself right now. (3.5e is my favourite edition, before anyone asks, but I did try 1e last year and enjoyed it quite a bit.)

I know it can be a little daunting to try new systems, and difficult to find a group sometimes (or convince yours to try one) because D&D is so pervasive. To some people, TRPGs are D&D. They don't know any better, or do not care to.

But I promise you that you will have a more fulfilling TRPG experience, understand the hobby more and have a better idea of what systems fit your setting if you branch out.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments
    edited September 2 #11

If you want a Pokemon role playing game I would suggest a homebrew